Have I purchased the wrong size bike?

WillyM
WillyM Posts: 18
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Couple a weeks ago I purchased myself a Marin Rocky Ridge after reading good reviews on this website and must say I love this bike. Very exhilarating riding long down hill trails, but I have had one comment saying the bike looked too small for me which has knocked my confidence a bit. I purchased the small model because the median one I ordered originally looked way too big. I'm 5'8 with very broad shouldered which perhaps makes the bike look smaller? What do you guys think. Have I purchased the wrong size bike?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you like how it feels and rides, then it's the right size! Sizes vary between manufacturers, and of course people do too, but as a broad reference I am 6ft and have 'medium' frames, though the actual measurements are different. If you like it, its right.
  • danhx
    danhx Posts: 165
    I'm 5ft 8in and ride a small Focus Super bud. I do have to have the seatpost right up when the going is smooth, but the reach etc all seem perfect and I don't feel like its to small when riding it.

If it feels ok go with it, who cares how it looks :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    17" for 5"8 sounds about right. Im 6ft and ride an 18" and its spot on.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Frame "size" is only relevant when talking about the same brand.

Top tube length has more to do with things when talking different Brands (and sometimes different models from the same maker).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'm about 5ft 10 (I think) and I ride a large. It dosen't feel like a large though
    Me like trials biking me do
  • I'm about 5ft 10 (I think) and I ride a large. It dosen't feel like a large though
    Me like trials biking me do
  • 97piersp
    97piersp Posts: 72
    im 5ft 11 and i ride a small transition bottlerocket which is perfect for me
  • lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    If it feels right then it doesn't really matter what others say. I'm 6'2'' and ride a 'medium' but one mans medium is another mans large :?
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    I ride a medium Rocky Ridge and I'm 6ft. I wouldn't want it any smaller really.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    As long as the reach is right and it feels OK to you then dont worry about it .
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,950
    What size frame is it WIlly?

If you have a small, then I guess that will be a 15"?

Marin measure their frames differently, so a 15" Marin equates to around a 17" in normal bikes.

I'm 5ft 10 ish, with a 34" inside leg, and my 17" Marin fits me perfectly.
    I have quite a bit of seatpost showing, but then that means I have a reasonable amount of clearance when stood astride the crossbar.

I would have said that a 15" Marin for someone who is 5ft 8", dependant on inside leg, should be spot on, a 17" would almost certainly be too large, and better too small that too large.

As said above, if it feels right, when the going gets tough, then it's fine.

If it doesn't, then you can make various tweaks at zero cost, such as saddle height, saddle fore and aft position on the rails, flip the stem over to either give a more downward up upward position, and take some spacers out from unde the handlebar and put them on top to drop the bar height also.

Enjoy your Marin.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18