Hydraulic Disc Brake help!

Jimmy Mc
Jimmy Mc Posts: 35
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
I've had a quick search through the forum and the net and can't find the info I'm looking for so apologies if I've missed it anywhere.

I'm new to all of the bike stuff - last time I had one disc brakes were only available on expensive sports cars!

Anyway, I've had my Orange G2 for about 5 weeks now and I've thoroughly enjoyed using it as much as possible. One thing though that is proving to be a slight annoyance is that the brake pads rub on the disc slightly. Is there a way that I can cure this myself or will it require a trip back to my LBS?

Cheers

Jimmy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what brakes?

align the caliper on the mount so the pads do not rub.

but at 5 weeks it sounds like it is time for the first few service.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jimmy Mc
    They're Funn F2's.

How frequently should bikes be serviced?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    normally after the first 4-6 weeks the bike shop should normally offer you a quick free service in oder to make any final fettling changes to brakes and gears as compnents settle and bed in.

after that, they just need a careful eye to be kept on them in my opinion, if you ride lots, stuff will need adjusting or replacing more often. most will say you should get a service at least once a year. but i service my bike every weekend if i have been riding.
  • Jimmy Mc
    normally after the first 4-6 weeks the bike shop should normally offer you a quick free service in oder to make any final fettling changes to brakes and gears as compnents settle and bed in.

after that, they just need a careful eye to be kept on them in my opinion, if you ride lots, stuff will need adjusting or replacing more often. most will say you should get a service at least once a year. but i service my bike every weekend if i have been riding.

Thanks. I think I'll take the bike up next weekend so they can have a look and give it the once over. One of the cranks keeps on working it's way loose so I'll get them to sort that too.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as the funns are post mount calipers then re aligning them is an easy job. just loosening the caliper to adapter bolts re align and the tighten. Info can be found on parktools for other post mount calipers. have a read, linky in sig.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jimmy Mc
    nicklouse wrote:
    as the funns are post mount calipers then re aligning them is an easy job. just loosening the caliper to adapter bolts re align and the tighten. Info can be found on parktools for other post mount calipers. have a read, linky in sig.

Thanks! 8)