Not another What Bike for £500

Skindog
Skindog Posts: 26
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Been a lurker since xmas. I was going to get a new MTB but after going on my mates new Carrera road bike I instantly changed my mind.. I have about £500 to spend and don't want to over this budget.. I have looked at the following three best deasl I could find - any thoughts.

http://www.ashcycles.com/power/index.ph ... cts_id=728

http://www.holcroscycles.com/productdet ... tback.html

http://www.holcroscycles.com/productdet ... -105-(L35C).html

Or am I better going the 2nd hand route which I don't mind..

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The BH bike looks pretty nifty
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the BH does look nice!

good price too - 105 + carbon stays - not often you get that at £500 mark - it is a sale bike of course - and seems good value!
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Agreed the BH looks good but are you sure about 49cm. - that's a very very small frame.
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    edited April 2008
    i have the Aubisque on a trainer, shiny veloce bits is what attracted me to it.
    12042008076.jpg
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    Zendog1 wrote:
    Agreed the BH looks good but are you sure about 49cm. - that's a very very small frame.
    It does appear that 49cm is the only size available.

Assuming 49cm is your size I'd be between the BH and the Saracen, depending on whether you like Shimano or Campag (if you don't know, try them and find out - whatever you do don't ask on here, you'll start a war!). Both look very nice for that money.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Zendog1 wrote:

Not necessarily. What does 49cm mean?

I've got a 50cm (ctc) Ribble, and the top tube is 55cm (ctc)!
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Skindog
    Thanks for the reply guys. Did notice the small frame but they are selling the same bike on eBay and it states that it's compact size so equivalent to 54cm which will be perfect.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BH-R1-RACE-ONE-C1 ... dZViewItem.
  • Roger_This
    Roger_This Posts: 136
    Nowt to do with the bike, but couldn't help notice that Holcros offer -

'Free Shipping UK Mainland and Scottish Borders'

eh? :?
  • Skindog
    Emailed them earlier on and it is indeed correct (equiv to 54cm) so placed the order - update when bike arrives ;)
  • Skindog
    Got it friday, spent all night and most of saturday getting together. Didn't realise there was so much to do..

bhys9.jpg

TOTURE. Can't ride it till thursday according to weather reports. All I wanna do is get on the road :x
  • Shadowduck
    OOOoooOOOoooOOOooohhh! Shiny! :D

When I got my new birthday bike (start of February) I rode it seven miles home from the LBS in a hailstorm. Then didn't get back on it for a week 'cos I was dying of man-flu...

Hope you like it when you do get to ride it! :mrgreen:
  • heathrow86
    heathrow86 Posts: 228
    Nice looking BH the bike looks familiar! It is its the one I commute to and from work on daily. Bh are a very good make of bike.
  • donaldinho
    donaldinho Posts: 103
    Nice bike! Have fun on it! 8)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    Blimey, that has to be bargain find of the year for a complete bike?

105 throughout, carbon forks and stays, stonking deal!

Even the Decathlon Sport 3, that has carbon stays and forks, and is £470 can't hold a candle to that, think it is a mix of Tiagra and Sora.

Cracking find, enjoy your new bike, that should last for ages.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Skindog
    Well, the weather was looking a bit better and the roads were drying up so off I went for a spin.

Cracking bike to ride and i'm totally in love with it.. Problem is now getting fitness levels up. Just done a four mile trip and I feel totally fcuked, my legs are like jelly :oops: .. Thought I was quite fit as I do an hours walk every day minimum.
  • Shadowduck
    Skindog wrote:
    Problem is now getting fitness levels up. Just done a four mile trip and I feel totally fcuked, my legs are like jelly :oops: ..
    You'll soon get the fitness up if you ride regularly. You'll still come home totally fcuked of course, but you'll have done more miles quicker to get that way!

Glad you're happy with it. :mrgreen: