rim tape required on non drilled rims ?

coasti
coasti Posts: 17
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, I just bought a pair of shimano RS20 wheels. The inside of the rims are smooth apart from the valve hole - so does it need rim tape ?

Any advise please ??

Comments

• Lucky Luke
    Lucky Luke Posts: 402
    Wouldn't have thought so . I don't use it on my Ksyriums . No point is there ?
    Luke
  • coasti
    Lucky Luke wrote:
    Wouldn't have thought so . I don't use it on my Ksyriums . No point is there ?

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't think so either, but Shimano tech instructions that came with the wheels says to use high pressure 18-622 rim tape with clincher tyres. So I am wondering if that is just a generic warning in the document, or if the rim tape does add some protection.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    no - there's no point and it will make fitting tyres even harder work!
  • coasti
    gkerr4 wrote:
    no - there's no point and it will make fitting tyres even harder work!

Thanks very much - I'll go without the rim tape.

Cheers
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Would be nice to hear your opinions on the RS20s coasti, as I am interested in getting a pair of these.
  • coasti
    Would be nice to hear your opinions on the RS20s coasti, as I am interested in getting a pair of these.

I've fitted them but not given them a good try out yet. They look the business though.

Bought as an upgrade to my trek bike bought last year, and lighter that the original Bontrager wheels. I choose them based on a great review in Cycling Plus and in my price range (can get for a bit over £100)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Love to hear your opinion once you have had some miles on them mate, thanks.