Group Ride, someone takes you down, who pays?

michaelm
michaelm Posts: 49
Just ordered a shiny new bike, which has got me musing.....

I was out on a club run a few years back (not a member, was invited along to try the club ride thing-riding in a group was not a new experience), a guy up front went down causing a bit of a pile up (including me). It cost me £100+ for the repairs to my bike.

On the one hand I was a bit peeved that I had to fork out as a result of someone causing the fall, and in the back of my mind I felt the guy who caused it all should have paid (but I would, it was costing me money). On the other hand riding in a group carries an element of assumed risk.

These days I'm out riding with people on up to £5000 worth of bike, I'm on a steel frame with 105/Ultegra mix (relatively cheap and easy to repair). If I were to cause a bit of pile up, I'd feel responsible for having done so, but I'm not sure I'd feel responsible enough to want to pay for some of the bikes that are out on the club midweek rides!

So, who would/should foot the bill if there was such a pile up?

It doesn't get brought up much - and probably not untill it's too late!

I'm thinking of joining British Cycling - not sure if the liability insurance would cover such events.

Any thoughts? Experiences?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don't crash. It's not that hard.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    surely as shown in the recent west lothian court case, it would be assumed that group riding comes with a certain risk that you accept when joining the group. and people are then responsible for their own stuff.

As another example, a couple of mates of mine take their cars to track days at knockhill race track, but will only go on organised club outings or top marques nights (where the cars have to be a minimum value), as there are none of the nova rockets, and tvr/ferrari owners are generally less likely to want to get involved with dodgy racing moves. this is because.......

it would be assumed that track driving comes with a certain risk that you accept when joining the group. and people are then responsible for their own stuff.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • mekonta
    mekonta Posts: 58
    Yeah - when you go on a group ride you have to accept that bit of extra risk. It's also very hard to attribute blame. Group crashes are usually one rider clipping another and too often there's no way of knowing which rider is actually at fault. If anyone.

And because of this, it's important experienced riders do point out the basic etiquette of group riding to newbies as nobody wants to be in a bunch with a group of nervy and rickety guys whose wheel you aren't happy to follow.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    If you were the guilty party, and if you are a home owner with contents insurance then you will probably have about two million pounds worth of third party liability insurance. According to my insurers the Nationwide as long as I am not arranging the ride for profit then I am covered.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • You can get insurance for your bike through BC or CTC or indeed other underwriters which will insure against accidental loss and crash damage of your bike etc. Ultimately, if someone goes down in front of you, and you hit them its your fault. It''s a risk we all take when out riding in a group, just decide how much effort/money you want to spend mitigating that possibility
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    You wouldn't drive 10cm behind another car, despite bumpers, seat belts and airbags. Yet cyclists happily sit this close to each other.

You take the risks by joining a group like this. Unless you can show the rider in front willingly did something dangerous, like swerving or braking for no reason, then there is little you can do. But it pays to ride with safe people, the group should communicate hazards to each other and be comfortable riding in formation. If not, practice!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Surely you're doing the dangerous thing, riding 10cm behind someone who might swerve or brake 'for no reason'.

If someone stops suddenly 'for no reason' in their car and you drive your car into the back of them, it's your fault for driving too close.
    Even if the other person overtook you and brake tested you, without witnesses you'd have difficulty proving it - the assumption would be that you drove into the back of them, it was your fault.