Bike too big?

Cyclo2000
Cyclo2000 Posts: 1,923
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I'm finding my Cannondale a bit big at the moment. Let me clarify...
I'm 6' 3" and the bike is a 60cm (on the 'dale thats centre to top BTW so it's really a 58 c-c)

Now, I don't like to show a lotta seat pin so that suits me BUT....I'm feeling overstretched. I dunno if it's just my almost total lack of flexibilty or if the top tube's just to long for me (it's 58cm c-c) so...Suggestions?

I've ordered a very short stem as a stop gap but I was thinking about maybe getting a new bike. It'd either need to be a much smaller frame which would shorten the top tube or a sportif typa thang (I see PlanetX have a Ti sportif available fo a bag o' sand)

Any suggestions/advices v. welcome.
Usquequaque in Ventus
Just once I would like to be called "Sir", without someone adding "You\'re making a scene".

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Doesn't SOUND too big! For the top to be too long suggests that you have relatively long legs, but then the seat tube (with little post out) length doesn't really go with that! A shorter AND slightly more "upright" stem is surely worth a try?

When sat with arms straight to the bar tops is the front axle obscured by the bars as you look down? It's an old comfort/fit/sizing tip/myth from (I think) William Sanders' The Bicycle Racing Book (which actually has stood the test of time pretty well IMHO!). He aslo pays more attention to front/rear weight dustribution and saddle relative to b/b than seems to be the fashion these days.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    hiya, Just wondering if you've had a fitting done? I went to Race Scene the other day (Barnsley so a bit of a drive) and they were excellent. I spent a couple of hours with them and I can honestly say that I have never felt more comfortable on my bike. I can now ride in the drops without whacking myself in the chest and my knee has stopped hurting.
    Might be worth having a fitting done somewhere if you haven't tried that already.
    Good luck
  • Assume you mean 58 ctc is centre of seatpost line to centre of head tube line.....measured horizontal to floor

I'm also 6'3 and got a bit stretched on my old Rondelli with 58cm CTC (as above) and 13 cm stem so I went down to a 9cm and it's fine. (Rondelli has a huge 23 cm head tube as well !)
    Briceyinstockport