Chain Length

Dangermousewmb
Dangermousewmb Posts: 26
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Before i wreck a new chain i thought i'd better ask.

I know that you put it round the big ring at the front and onto the big sprocket at the back then add 2 full links. But is that the same whether you use a medium or long cage rear mech? (i am using an long cage LX mech).

Also it is being fitted to a sliding dropout Inbred 29er, should the back wheel be all the way back to allow for future adjustment or won't it matter that much? Think the wheel moves no more than about an inch on the sliders. Tempted just to set it up midway initially.

Many thanks.

Garry

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes it is the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok, fitted chain at weekend. I have standard Hone Rings on the front and an 11-34 SRAM 970 on the back. Put a PC971 chain on and it didn't seem to need shortening at all. Was surprised to be honest.

Anyway second question which is linked to this. How close should the top jockey pulley be to the big sprocket. It seems to be VERY close. Although it changes through the gears ok. Changing the B-screw setting doesn't really seem to move it noticeably.

Sorry for very newbie questions.

Garry