Odd Fitting on Top Tube

Mystique
Mystique Posts: 342
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

A friend has just bought a Boardman Comp from Halfords (and a very nice bike it is too...)

It has a single screw fitment (like the type used to hold a bottle cage) on the underside of the Top Tube, about a third of the way back from the headset, offset slightly to the right hand side.

What is it meant to be used for???

Cheers,

Curious of Wokingham. :D

Comments

• Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    Mystique wrote:
    Hi,

A friend has just bought a Boardman Comp from Halfords (and a very nice bike it is too...)

It has a single screw fitment (like the type used to hold a bottle cage) on the underside of the Top Tube, about a third of the way back from the headset, offset slightly to the right hand side.

What is it meant to be used for???

Cheers,

Curious of Wokingham. :D

Mini pump perhaps? A lot of the ones that I've seen come with bottle cage type mounts.
  • Mystique
    Good point, could be. The thing that's confusing me is that it is a single screw, not the usual pair...
  • poucher
    poucher Posts: 102
    Race number mounting point.

Poucher :wink:
  • Mystique
    Poucher, you may be onto something.

It's just the thought of something from Halfords wearing a race number :lol:
  • winoneday
    winoneday Posts: 253
    It is for a race number. There was a review in Cycling Weekly about a month ago that looked at one of the new Boardman Halfords bikes and they specifically said it was for the number. They also pointed out that it seemed slightly unecessary as they couldn't imagine too many people choosing a Halfords bike to race on.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Yes, race number.
    Also fitted on Giant TCR's (or used to be, on the alu ones)
  • Mystique
    Thanks guys - Another lesson learned. :)
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    I have one on my Bottecchia, I never knew what it was for!

Now I know what it is I also know it will never be used!
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    winoneday wrote:
    It is for a race number. There was a review in Cycling Weekly about a month ago that looked at one of the new Boardman Halfords bikes and they specifically said it was for the number. They also pointed out that it seemed slightly unecessary as they couldn't imagine too many people choosing a Halfords bike to race on.

Halfords Bikehut team (aka GB women's team in civvies), ride the Boardman Comp as a training bike, and the model up for races.