Which bike for a grand?

davelakers
davelakers Posts: 762
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
It seems like Im in the same boat as a lot of people, Im suffering to due the break down in relationships between Halfords and various other retailers when it comes to supplying bikes through the cycle to work scheme.

I have various options, but with being relatively new to road cycling I am after as much advice and as many recommendations as possible.

My options, according to Halfords are;

Trek 1.9 Ally & Ultegra Trek 1.9
Carrera Virago, full carbon & Ultegra Virago
Dolan, full carbon & 105
Dolan
Merida, full carbon & Ultegra Merida
Boardman Road Team, Ally & Ultegra Boardman
Bianchi Via Narone alu/carbon C2C Ultegra/105 & Ally/Carbon Bianchi

My current favourite is the Trek 1.9 but I love the look of the Bianchi and I believe its a very comfortable bike, but I know very little about it.

Please help.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    None (there's no campag option)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • davelakers
    None (there's no campag option)

:D

Thanks.

The Bianchi is available with Veloce. How does that compare with its Shimano equivalent. Im a Campag virgin, I have never had the pleasure but I have an open mind.
  • lilactime
    lilactime Posts: 86
    just bought a bmc streetfire with veloce , in black , its superb and looks great , the veloce skeleton brakes are something else !
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    one other often overlooked - the raleigh airlite carbon

easily available through halfords
    the same carbon frame (I believe) as the planet X (and massi and probably some others)
    campag veloce
    £999

it's a smart looking bike too if you can live with the badge.
  • davelakers
    gkerr4 wrote:

the same carbon frame (I believe) as the planet X (and massi and probably some others)
    campag veloce
    £999

Funnily enough I have just been looking at the Airlite. Does Raleigh have such a bad name these days?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    gkerr4 wrote:

campag veloce
    £999

Well if it's got campag it can't be too bad, I'd ride one.......
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gkerr4
    it's a smart looking bike:

http://www.bikecare.co.uk/lpb/more.php? ... bon&id=320

not bad value with veloce i think

edit - I just noticed - it even has cxp22 rims and michelin tyres - the usual scrimping points for bikes - not the best, but better than a lot..
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    If I had £999 to spend and Halfords could get it I'd have this Orbea Onix Vuelta.
  • davelakers
    Lagavulin wrote:
    If I had £999 to spend and Halfords could get it I'd have this Orbea Onix Vuelta.

Thanks for your reply.
    Its a very nice bike, but its Tiagra. Ive got Tiagra on my current bike and I am more interested in upgrading to a better groupset than to a carbon frame.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Are you able to find any of these to test ride - say in Evans or other shops? I've been umming and arring about bike upgrades and I've got the groupset sorted after getting a little experience with different equipment, but when it comes to choosing the frame for it to live on, I'm going to have to do a load of test rides - I'm not spending £500-1000 based upon magazine/online reviews!
  • davelakers
    Graham G wrote:
    Are you able to find any of these to test ride - say in Evans or other shops? I've been umming and arring about bike upgrades and I've got the groupset sorted after getting a little experience with different equipment, but when it comes to choosing the frame for it to live on, I'm going to have to do a load of test rides - I'm not spending £500-1000 based upon magazine/online reviews!

Im visiting a few LBS over the next few weeks to test ride a few. Im not going to spend a grand without trying them, so Im hoping to get as many test rides as possible.
  • davelakers wrote:
    Lagavulin wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
    Its a very nice bike, but its Tiagra. Ive got Tiagra on my current bike and I am more interested in upgrading to a better groupset than to a carbon frame.

Though the Onix really is a fantastic frame - and I reckon you'd feel the advantages here much more than say between Tiagra and 105 (particularly with the new Tiagra shifters).

In my book you can't beat Orbea for the feel of the ride. One of the most under-rated (or at least rarely considered) makes on the market. And a Basque collective to boot!
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    i voted for the bianchi, it was either that or the boardman, but theres better options about, focus seem popular thought one might have been in the selection.
  • davelakers
    z000m wrote:
    i voted for the bianchi, it was either that or the boardman, but theres better options about, focus seem popular thought one might have been in the selection.

I really wanted the Focus Cayo but Halfords cant/wont deal Wiggle :(
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    The Merida in the link seems to be alu at 900 quid? If a carbon one at a grand, then I reckon should be a good deal. Personally, I'd RATHER have the alu framed one.

TBH they're really all much of a muchness: whichever is prettiest in your eyes is as good a way to decide as any!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    I'm in the same boat as you but my company uses cyclescheme so I'm going with Planet X - If I couldn't get Planet X I'd go for the Bianchi but I can't stand the Green colour so would get the Compaq version which is a nicer silver colour: http://www.bianchi.com/en/products2008/Road_Y8B28.aspx

RC
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    gkerr4 wrote:
    one other often overlooked - the raleigh airlite carbon easily available through halfords - the same carbon frame (I believe) as the planet X (and massi and probably some others)

Is that true? The Planet X frame is the same as the Raleigh's?
  • gkerr4
    i believe so - and the massi carbon too.

if they aren't the same frame then they at least share the same geometry and design.

there have been threads on this before. and the general consensus was that they are the same.

there's nothing wrong with that - it is quite common practice to use a build company and put different logos on the frame - much in the same was that deddacai built the nero corsa and scuro frames which are then badged by ribble, condor & dolan to name a few.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Lagavulin wrote:

Good choice! Already got one, but with the 105 groupset, see pic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25412243@N02/2394816085/
  • huwy
    huwy Posts: 91
    When did Halfords stop dealing with Wiggle I got my Cayo on bike4work about 8 weeks ago through Halfords and I blooming love it upgarded saddle and wheels to Fulcrum R3;s and it's now a sub 18lb flyer...
  • timbo58
    timbo58 Posts: 27
    Is there a problem getting a good range of bikes through Halfords and the cycle to work scheme then?
    I fancy the Bianchi Via Nirone 7 10 speed campagnolo 2008 model at £594 (through Evans) but am looking into whether it will be better financially to get this through my company scheme (Firstgroup) I think I may have missed the deadline they set, but if I can actually get the exact model I want it's worth badgering a few people, otherwise I'll just stick the 600 quid on my new 0% credit card!
  • davelakers
    timbo58 wrote:
    Is there a problem getting a good range of bikes through Halfords and the cycle to work scheme then?
    I fancy the Bianchi Via Nirone 7 10 speed campagnolo 2008 model at £594 (through Evans) but am looking into whether it will be better financially to get this through my company scheme (Firstgroup) I think I may have missed the deadline they set, but if I can actually get the exact model I want it's worth badgering a few people, otherwise I'll just stick the 600 quid on my new 0% credit card!

I have also contemplated buying a PX or Cayo on my credit card, but there is no way I can justify spending that much on a bike when I can get a bike of similar value, but with a 43% discount through the scheme.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "whichever is prettiest in your eyes is as good a way to decide as any!"

That'd be the Orbea then for me!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • davelakers
    Popped into Wheelbase today to look at the Trek 1.9 and I was very impressed. It seems to weigh almost the same as the carbon Madone. I think it made my mind up, its a stunning looking bike!!