Tyre advice please...

Roger_This
Roger_This Posts: 136
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
My bike, a Ridgeback Flight, has Continental Ultra Sport tyres. I have found them satisfactory, but have read a few less than complimentary comments about these - eg the review on this site of the new Fuji - 'The stiff and unsure handling of the plain and rubbery Continental Ultra Sport tyres is also holding me back'.

Can anyone suggest an upgrade in the event that I crack my 10mph average and suffer similar problems?

ta,

Rog :)

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    There's nothing wrong with Conti Ultra Sports. I've got them on two sets of my wheels, used them throughout the winter, no grip or reliability problems.

They might not be as good as the Pro Race 2s I've got on my good, but there's no reason to ditch them before they wear out.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Roger_This wrote:
    My bike, a Ridgeback Flight, has Continental Ultra Sport tyres. I have found them satisfactory, but have read a few less than complimentary comments about these - eg the review on this site of the new Fuji - 'The stiff and unsure handling of the plain and rubbery Continental Ultra Sport tyres is also holding me back'.

Can anyone suggest an upgrade in the event that I crack my 10mph average and suffer similar problems?

ta,

Rog :)

Not sure that I would "upgrade" tires just because someone else found them "stiff and
    unsure"(whatever that means - if anything). Sounds like someone trying to sound like they
    know what they are talking about when they really don't. Did I say that??? Anyway,
    ride what you have until they wear out then buy another pair. Asking what tires to ride
    in this forum will get you as many different answers as there are tire brands. Then again
    that's how forums are. Everybody has a different favorite. A word of advice, don't buy
    the really lightweight tires unless you're racing as they are more prone to flats in a
    street and road riding enviorment.

Dennis Noward
  • Roger_This
    Roger_This Posts: 136
    Thanks folks, I'm kinda new to this and probably too influenced by what I read :D

btw Redd, that best bike is a beauty. What is it?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Roger_This wrote:
    btw Redd, that best bike is a beauty. What is it?

Self Build, Deda Nero Corsa frame, Centaur Gruppo, and Neutron Ultra Wheels.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr