One Bike for Touring/Trials/Road Riding?

dumalam
dumalam Posts: 6
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
The main question is whether i can get away with one bike for all these things. The issue is budget of course, otherwise I would buy several specialty bikes. The idea is to get one frame with perhaps two wheelsets. Things I want to do:

1) Loaded touring - not round the world, only a few days, weeks or maybe a couple of months max.
- need very strong wheels, front and rear mounts for both fenders and racks, 2/3 bottle mounts, low gears (is compact with 11-34 possible and enough? or a triple).
2) Off road riding - dirt trails, not serious mtb stuff.
- need strong wheels, wide tyres (cyclocross style).
3) Commuting - I assume I can do this with any bike that satisfies either of the first two.
4) Road riding - fast group riding and low cat racing.
- sufficiently light and stiff frame and wheels, high end gears as well.

It seems the first three can quite easily be combinced with one bike. But what about the fast road riding? The Specialized Tricross is the only bike that I can see, and that is available here in Israel, that seems to come close to doing everything (with two wheelsets I guess). But this raises a couple more questions:

Ticross Comp/Expert: is there a problem with loaded paniers on carbon seatstays (they do have rack mounts)? Is the E5 alloy frame light and stiff enough for fast road group rides and racing? The cheaper Sport is all A1 Aluminium, inlcuding the seatstays, which I assume is heavier. As for wheels and components, I can make changes with the lbs.

It looks like the biggest compromise would be with road riding when compared to an aggresive carbon Tarmac, for example. Is the E5 alloy Tricross light and stiff enough for fast group rides and racing? And is the longer wheelbase, chainstays and upright position a serious problem for fast road riding?

A lot of issues, I know, but I am hoping to hear what everyone thinks. Can one bike do it all? Is the Tricross the closest thing (only major brands available here in Israel)?
Thanks, dumalam.

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I think you can't do all those things with one bike.

It'll be crap at all things.

A hybrid for trails and touring

Road bike for roads and maybe touring, it would take a rack.

Aything but a road bike is too slow and heavy for roads.

Use either for commuting, depending on the weather!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    No reason why you shouldn't. People did it for years. The only racing bike I ever had was an old 1949 Mercian frame with mudguard clearance (for 27" wheels). I built some sprint wheels for it and although I had a double chain set I didn't bother with a front mech. The big ring was for racing - the little ring was getting to and from the race and back up the hill home :) I wasn't very fast - my pb for a 10 is a longish 24 and a I did a 5 for 25 miles - I was a vet and didn't train :) If the race was few miles away I carried my sprints on sprint carriers and changed the wheels before racing.

I used the same frame for many audax rides fitted with mudguards and carrier, and it would have been fine for lightweight touring. I also used it on single fixed for commuting (27 miles round trip). I really must put it together again as it's sitting in my loft completely resprayed and immaculate.

Provided you have a reasonable bike and aren't racing very seriously the thing that really counts is the engine - ie you, the rider. If you start getting ambitious and looking for seconds then get a proper racing bike.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    How about the Kenesis Crosslight but with two sets of wheels, one set for trails and touring, the other for fast road work. Fit it with a tripple chain set and you should be fine.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    I would imagine a good hybrid or an Audax may be the answer, you could even have two sets of wheels, 700*35 for touring and *23 for racing.