Tricross All in One Bike for Loaded Touring?

dumalam
dumalam Posts: 6
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
I am looking at getting a Specialized Tricross as a all in one bike. One I can use for touring, cummuting, riding on trails, and road riding. It has a pretty long wheelbase, long chainstays and upright position. It has full front and rear rack and fender mounts, and three water bottle mounts. The question is if it has everything I need for loaded touring. I am thinking of weekends, maybe a few weeks or even a couple of months of light to fully loaded touring. There are a couple of models and several issues:

1) Carbon seat stays and fork. Is there a problem with fully loaded touring with paniers on carbon seatstays and a carbon fork with full mounts? The Tricross Comp/Expert is E5 alloy with carbon seat stays and fork, with full front and rear rack mounts. The Sport is A1 aluminium with carbon fork, also with full mounts.

2) Is a 50-34 compact crank sufficient for loaded touring? Say if it can be paired to an 11-34 cassette.

3) Are the Specialized Pave wheels strong enough? They only have 20/24 spokes but are supposed to be quite strong for cyclocross.

Apart from the above issues it seems alright for touring. Am I missing anything? Let me know what you think.
Thanks, dumalam.

Comments

• jalapeno
    jalapeno Posts: 1,009
    if you are concerned then consider using a trailer instead of panniers.. reduces stress on frame and wheels and leaves the bike unencumbered should you wish to unhitch the trailer and head off on a day trip... Extrawheel would be a good choice, I used one in S America.

Painted Roads.. colourful cycling adventures
    http://www.paintedroads.com
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I've got the Sport which has 30-39-50 & 30-34 and that'd be fine for light touring - for any extended stuff I'd consider a 28-38-48 chainset though.

The Sport might be a better option for loaded touring anyway as it has lower gearing, alloy seat stays and stronger/heavier wheels.

I've ridden mine off-road, for commuting and with panniers on (although not really all that heavily laden yet) and it's been great.
  • dumalam
    How heavy is your Sport? I saw that it's made with A1 aluminium, as opposed to the Comp/Expert made with ligher E5 alloy w/ carbon stays.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    The Tricross Sport is supposed to be about 24lbs and mine does feel like it's about that.
  • dumalam
    Thanks for the info and the replies.