HED Jet 60 Wheels

tribri2003
tribri2003 Posts: 17
edited March 2010 in Workshop
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a set of Jet 60 wheels.

Does anyone have a set and if so I would appreciate any feedback before I buy.

cheers

bri

Comments

• schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I have a pair (check the My Best Bike photo), 10 speed Campag clinchers. Although they are a bit heavier than the wheels they replaced (Campag Eurus) they roll really well don't flex when climbing or sprinting (although I'm not a heavy rider) and as important they look really cool 8). The only thing is that I run them with conti GP4000s and they are a bit of a b1tch to get over the rim, but I think this is par for the course with GP4000s.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Hi,

wow they do look cool.

Do you use for normal road riding ?

I want to use on my road bike and TT bike. hope it will serve both ok.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Yep, I use them for normal road riding as I have a different set up on my TT bike.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Are they legal for road racing ? I know commissaires don't often enforce that list of deep section wheels but I've been discussing this on another forum with a guy (triathlete) who wants to use a set of Hed Jet 90s at that Shimano 24 hour race.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    I owned a set of Jets pictured on this bike:

HED-JET.jpg

They worked GREAT up until the day they died (althought they didn't have all that many miles on them ~5000 or so) They absolutely never needed truing.

Finally took them in to get trued, next day, approaching the end of the climb to Las Cañadas here in Tenerife, I felt the back wheel come to an abrupt halt. The rim was completely out of true, hitting the brake calipers. Upon later inspection, it turns out that there were at least three place where the spokes had pulled through, cracking the alloy rim.

Luckily for me, I wasn't descending at the time (I was only about 150m from El Portillo where I normally get a coffee, turn around and ride back down again).

Hed wanted way too much for a replacement rim so I ebayed them (basically as a rear wheel + front hub). Then the guy said they didn't arrive, and paypal forced the money out of my account. Never did get payment, never saw the wheels again. Grrrr :evil:
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Synchro - what is that bike ?

Seems to have no downtube...?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Is it a Kestrel - think I can just about make that out on the downtube.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    It's a kestrel 500EMS. It has 650c wheels (faster acceleration :D ) & traditional road bike geometry. I love everything about this bike. It's a bike for life:

Kestrel-white.jpg

I bought it back in the days when Kestrel frames were made in the USA. Soon after I bought it, Kestrel seemed to change their direction. I wouldn't buy a new-generation Kestrel.

Kestrel was one of the first companies (if not THE first) to produce a monocoque carbon bike frame, the 4000:

k40001.jpg
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Nice pic, loved that bike. Tell me, how far have we come in the last 20 years from this frame to the S3? Ok, maybe 300-400 grams, some serious stiffness, much improved aerodyanmics.

But you cannot say that the S3 or anything of that ilk is revolutionary - it's highly derivative. In fact the big enabler was cloth and computing power and F1 technology. At the end of the day - the BB is still a 68mm normal jobby.

Amazing tho the diff between the seat and chainstays, where today the lower are huge and the upper a spindly to give more comfort. Thanks a lot for the nice pic.

While we're on the subject of Hed wheels - does ANYONE have experieince with the C2 60s? I'll *never* buy tubs so don't even go there but the inner rouleur in me wants some deep dish wheels I can put a top tyre on.

Cheers for any thoughts. It's not easy - Assaults, the C2 60, 404s, Shim 7850 50mm bonded wheels, etc. Sadly most are heavier than advertised or mightily expensive (Edge).
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.