First go at some Alps riding

jason74
jason74 Posts: 8
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
I have been into road riding for god knows how many years, but have never thought about attempting some TDF climbs ie Alpe d huez. So I have decided this year to do perhaps a week over there.
I have looked at some previous threads about this, but still a liitle unsure on some bits like
1 Best time to go looking at perhaps late summer(Sept)
2 Actaully how difficult will it be (I ride a road bike but mates are into MTB)
3 What equipment will be required (not just bitsnbobs in your saddle bag I guess)
Thanks for any info.

Comments

• craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    Are you wanting to tour or have a car and be fixed base? If it's the latter here's what I would do;

I'd split the week and have 3 days in Bourg d'Oisans to put me near Alpe d'Huez, The Col de La Croix de Fer and The Glandon, The Telegraphe and the Galibier, possibly The Madelaine from the south side.

Then I'd head south to Barcelonette or Guillestre for 4 days to put me near The Izoard, The Vars, The Bonnette and Agnel (both in this years Tour!) The Col d'Allos and The Cayole. It's an absolutely beautiful part of the world.

You'll need the usual, spare tubes, mini tool etc but also be prepared for bad weather. Late August / September will be ideal but some of the cols are over 2500m and it can be cooooold on the descent after a sweaty climb up - be prepared.
    Keep yourself well fed too. Quite easy in that region - the Tartiflette is awesome!
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    One bit of advice I would give you is that it takes a few climbs to find your legs. Start off with a few easier climbs before tackling the harder ones.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Sounds like a lovely idea - Craigenty s plan is as good as any other! Without knowing how good/fast/fit you are My tip would be to make sure you have a nice LOW gear or two & to be for one or two hour long sustained efforts. The Alpe is actually ok if you pace yourself with the right gears. Everyone says teh first 6 'ramps' are worst - which they are but I'm fat, not fit adn 40 + and got up in less than 2 hours.
    Glandon/Col de fer is super pretty and quiet, LAuteret /galibier is busier traffic wise but only slightly less photogenic countryside. I can recommend the cafe on the north side of the GAlibier near the tunnel - nice omlette & bread :)
  • jason74
    jason74 Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info.
    I was thinking about driving down there so I like the idea from Craig, i obviously know about Bourg, but was unsure of any other good bases to stay. just need to look into getting somewhere booked up now.
    I am using a 39x25 at present but have read about using compacts etc.
    With regards to fitness/ time on bike my rides are about 30 miles (at moment - looking to build up more miles now evenings are lighter) taking in some hills around Hampshire with gradients about 12-14% (according to roadsigns) but obviously over a shorter distance.
    I am 34 and also do many other sport so i wolud say my level of fitness is good, also my job involves a lot of walking.