Tip to share :-)

top_bhoy
top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I thought I'd share this little piece of info to any beginners out there as it struck me it may affect them more.

My mate (who is a beginner) recently asked me to pump up his front/rear tyres using my track pump as he only had a hand held mini pump to use. His tyres were very low but after I took them to 110psi - the word back is that it feels like a completely new bike and gets him better speed.

In other words, probably a commonly over-looked problem of not getting a hand held pump anywhere near the required pressure, yet a very effective upgrade at minimal cost!!

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Track pump = the most essential tool in the garage
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Agree - 100psi is a minimum

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Totally agree, just bought a track pump from Tesco of all places(only 9.99) It amazed me how low my tyres were on both my bikes. Now running 110psi on my winter steel hack and 120psi on my carbon summer bike. The transformation was instant with me knocking off 5 mins on my 20 mile loop today :)
  • duckiciao
    duckiciao Posts: 96
    My track pump doesnt have a pressure gauge built in, and obviously a scrader valve gauge wont work. Whats the best way to tell what the pressure is without buying a presta pressure gauge? (if such a thing exists)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    duckiciao wrote:
    My track pump doesnt have a pressure gauge built in, and obviously a scrader valve gauge wont work. Whats the best way to tell what the pressure is without buying a presta pressure gauge? (if such a thing exists)

I'm very hard pressed to think of a way to tell tire pressure without a gauge.
    And yes, a presta pressure gauge exists. Get a floor / track pump with a gauge.

Dennis Noward
  • musto_skiff
    musto_skiff Posts: 394
    How often do you "top them up"?
  • Bronzie
    How often do you "top them up"?
    Minimum once a week, or before every race / sportif.

My earlier post should have read "track pump with pressure gauge = most important tool in the garage"
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    lidls selling a track pump at the moment £5 seems sturdy dont like the base, do like the the arrange ment of cylinder \ piston meaning I dont need to fear trapping parts of my anatomy when using my full body weight to get that last 10 psi in...
  • andy81
    andy81 Posts: 118
    Just to continue the theme, just after a bit of advice on disconnecting the pump after inflating the tyres - whenever I do it I can't avoid air escaping, leaving the pressure too low. The pump I'm using is a Beto pump. Any tips?
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    well said Top_Bhoy, it was my first purchase when i got my first road bike :D
  • Bronzie
    Andy81 - not sure if the Beto has the type of valve adaptor that just pulls straight off or whether there is a locking lever that needs to be undone first - it SHOULD just come off the valve without letting air out - could be that the valve adaptor is worn or faulty
  • Is it just the air that's in the pump rather than from the tyre? Remember there will be air under high pressure in the pump's tube which escapes with a massive hiss as soon as the valve from the pump is released. If you have Presta valve, it's designed to prevent air coming out unless you press the thin metal valve end.
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    This is interesting. I should check my tyres thinking about it.

So will a normal foot pump not reach the required pressure?
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • Bronzie
    chronyx wrote:
    So will a normal foot pump not reach the required pressure?
    A car footpump? Wont work on presta valves and def wont do 120psi.

Some handpumps (esp the full length "frame pumps") can do 100+psi but they have no pressure gauge so you have to go on feel. If I puncture and pump to what I think is full pressure using my Zefal HPX pump, I'm usually 20psi too low when I check at home.
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    i have a dual foot pump it will give any of your track pumps a run for theyre money
  • top_bhoy
    z000m wrote:
    i have a dual foot pump it will give any of your track pumps a run for theyre money

Do you use both feet at the same time :D

It may do the job but I would guess it would not be better than say a Joe Blow dedicated track pump.

If people are serious about doing more than a few Km at a time, a dedicated track pump is an essential item.
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    Any other tips to share apart from track pumps?!

My tip: Wear Marigolds or laytex decorator gloves when doing maintenence work your bike. Your hands will be glad not to see the nail brush.... again!
    Every winner has scars.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    HungryCol wrote:

My tip: Wear Marigolds or laytex decorator gloves when doing maintenence work your bike. Your hands will be glad not to see the nail brush.... again!

But if my hands were really clean after fettling then the missus might expect foreplay! :shock:

:lol:
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    Graham G wrote:
    But if my hands were really clean after fettling then the missus might expect foreplay! :shock:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    The connector on the Beto pump is awful when it comes to Presta valves, I had to spend a tenner buying the Topeak double head connector upgrading it - then it was perfect.
  • top_bhoy
    Graham G wrote:
    HungryCol wrote:

Is fettling an arrestable offence? :D