Size frame

gk141054
gk141054 Posts: 175
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi guys, just been to Halfords to try some bikes out and now have some problems....

As I suspectedm the Halfords staff were next to useless (yet he was building bikes behind the counter :roll: )

Anyway I asked him what size frame I would need and his words were "oh, you're about the same size as me... definately a 20inch frame..."

Is he talking out of his ar$e? I am 6' 1" and inside leg is 33" (I assume you measure from floor to crown jewels with no shoes on?)

Cheers

Comments

• The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    well, I am 5'11 (and a bit) and my inside leg is 33 also.

I always ride a medium 17 - 17.5 inch frame, and sometimes even these can be a stretch depending on the manufacturer....

So yes, I suspect it may be too large for you
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    a 20inch might be enormous to be fair, im 6ft 1 and can get away with a medium but probs feel best on a large bike. as always, different manufacturers make different sized frames with the same designation.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    IM 34" inside leg, and ride a medium spec, tahts 17.5" too 18" and no bigger i say, had a 19" saracen along while back, was way to big and didnt handle well because of the size!
  • gk141054
    Why do some places list bike sizes in inches and some Medium, Large etc...

How do the two equate?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    medium is normally 17.5-18"

small 15-16" and large 19-20"

medium rules k
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    gk141054 wrote:
    Why do some places list bike sizes in inches and some Medium, Large etc...

How do the two equate?

The Small,Medium and large sizes will differ between manufacturers,I have a 33inch inside leg and ride an 18" frame .
  • gk141054
    Cheers guys.... its the GT Avalanche 2 that i'm after so will find somewhere that stocks it and try the 18" frame....

If thats no good then will obviously try the 16" or 20" depending....

I thought it was hard enough choosing the bike, but now trying to choose the size too?!?! :shock:
  • Excuse me for asking a silly question but what is the relationship between hieght and frame size? I realise that sometimes its down to personal preferance.

Also where is that distance measured from crank to handlebars or crank to seat post.

Trying to understand all these differnt things is not easy for a beginner.
    Weight on June 18th 129kg
    Target By June 15th 2013 - 100kg
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Weight July 1st - 127.3kg
  • OwenCB
    OwenCB Posts: 125
    I have to say the avalanche frame is big, I'm 6'3" but with little tiny legs (31") so went with a large frame as I felt too hunched up on the medium with having such a long body frame, only thing is now I feel like i'm miles away from the floor when I need to put my feet down.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is only a rough relationship - for instance if you are 4 ft 10 inches, the XL 23inch frame will not fit!

The measurement you see refers to the length of the seat tube from the bottom bracket axle. However some measure to the top of it, some to the middle of the top tube. Then you have bottom bracket height - this can be between 11 and 14 inches. Then the angle of the seat tube.... as you can see, one is not the same as the other. The most important measurement, providing you have adequate gonads clearance, is the top tube length which influences the reach.

Upshot of all this - try them out. And the Halfords employer should have said this.
  • I'm 6 foot 5 with a 34" inside leg, I ride a large GT avalanche 2. Its spot on for my size.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    You will have to go and try a few sizes to get the perfect fit,also play with the fine adjustments like saddle position,many bike shops will change the stem for a longer or shorter one if reach is an issue. Go to a good LBS and they will know what to do !
  • gk141054
    Hi again guys.

Went to a different Halfords tonight to try the 18" GT but they too were as helpful as a chocolate fire guard. They didn't have any 18"s built up... they had 4 20" built up though.

Tried the 20" and with the seat quite low I could touch the floor with the ball of my feet but not feet flat. When I was not on the seat, but stood over the bike I had about 1" clearance between metal and my precious parts....

Now I will find somewhere else tomorrow to try the 18", but how what height should I have the saddle at?

And what am I trying, touching the floor when sat on the bike, clearance when stood over the bike, or reach to handlebars when sat on bike? (or something else altogether?)

Cheers
  • funkydung
    funkydung Posts: 116
    When sat on the saddle your leg should be slightly bent when the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke. Changing the stem can change the handling of the bike a lot so beware of getting a smaller frame with a long stem! The best bet is to try the bikes, not just sitting on them you have to have a blast on them.
    I am 6' and ride an 18'' frame and feel this is very good for me but my brother (he is 6')has a 20" frame and this feels like a very fast bike but not so agile, as in you can't move the bike around so easily as mine.
    You really should go to a good bike shop, be careful not to be sold something you don't want. Why not give someone like Merlins a ring they may be able to help you out, and possibly with a much better bike for the same money???
  • gk141054
    funkydung wrote:
    You really should go to a good bike shop, be careful not to be sold something you don't want.

After days of research, I know exactly what bike I want mate, GT Avalanche 2.0

I have to buy it from a specified online retailer as its the Cycle 2 Work scheme so I don't want to take advantage of LBS testing all of their bikes out and then bugg*ring off to buy online. Plus I can't seem to find many LBS that stock GT around Stoke-on-trent except Halfords...
  • Dougizzle
    Dougizzle Posts: 133
    I Dont choose the size i am recommended i am 6ft and they recomend huge bikes that i would need a ladder to get onto. i prefer a few inches smaller so i can hop on and off instead of having to take a pair of steps wherever i go to get back onto my bike :p but i suppose it is also about what type of riding you do.
    Do it if you dare
    Leaping from the sky
    Hurling through the air
    Exhilarating high
    See the earth below
    Soon to make a crater
  • nick1983
    nick1983 Posts: 34
    i was the same, the guy in halfords said i must have a 20" frame according to my height, but it felt too big, much more comfortable feel on the 18" i tried...
  • gk141054
    Cheers all,

Just got back from a different Halfords where they had the 18" frame, felt much better and I will now be ordering that size (today hopefully!!!)

Cheers all for the help.
  • gk141054
    supersonic wrote:
    The measurement you see refers to the length of the seat tube from the bottom bracket axle.

Supersonic, are you saying above, that if I got an 18" frame that would be how long "D" is below.....?

gt-geo-08.gif
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes. GT are measured this way. They used to measure to the middle of the top tube though, and some still do.