Looking for help deciding

Fat git
Fat git Posts: 10
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Hey all,
Firstly little bit about myself, 33 years old, I am 6ft just over 15 stone and incredibly unfit, just got back into jogging, doing 1.5 miles each night to start off with and struggling a bit. But i am sure i will get there. I used to ride a lot in my late teens, but work and travel commits stopped this, I still travel a lot, but want to get back into cycling.
I have gone throgh the what bike thread and all generally seem to indicate local shops are generally the best to purchase from due to the ongoing support. I am looking at a hardtail and these are what i have come up with so far:
Giant XTC 4.5 2008 - Available locally
GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc - Available locally
Focus Northern Lite 2008 - Mail order
BeOne Karam 2.0 2007 - Mail order
The gear on the last two seems really good for only a marginal investment over the first two, but from what i can see GT and Giant have good reputations and wide support.
So what do you guys think?

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Often the internet shops will offer better spec for lower prices. Ehat you've got to weigh up is the after sales service you're more liely to get with your LBS. How proficient are you at setting up gear shifter, tweaking things etc.

Your LBS will do these things for you even if you do buy from the t'internet but will charge. It's also quite difficult to get your bike back to an internet retailer for it's six week check.

So internet may be better value for money on the face of it (and will remain so if you're happy to fettler yourself) but factor in LBS after sales and it's not looking so rosy. I think both the GT and the Giant are quite reasonable bikes for the money.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Fat git
    I just discovered Discountcyclesdirect is my LBS, excellent! They dont have the Focus or the BeOne, but they carry Marin and Marida.
    Going to go try some for size tommorow I hope
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    GT gets my vote as a big lad!
  • Fat git
    After perusing the forum for a while I came across a link for Merlin which I had not seen before, any comments on the Malt-2?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Great bike with great spec. Try one out of you can.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I saw a Malt 2 at my local trail the other week,great looking bike,you can really see its a quality build.
  • Fat git
    Decision made, order underway as soon as SWMBO agrees :(, it will be fine - she knows it is what i want!

I am going for a GT Zaskar Expert 2007 model - looks good, feels right!

Looking forward to having my first ride, look out guys, yet another newbe on the roads :oops:
  • SPOODZILLA
    SPOODZILLA Posts: 128
    I'm 6'4, 15 stone and also unfit! I've had a Malt 1 for a few months now - absolutley love it. Blows everthing else out of the water on value for money too. Spent ages weighing up every bike on the market in the £600 price bracket. Instantly bought the Merlin when I saw it.
    Road: 2006 Trek 1500
    Off: 2009 Carrera Fury

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Fat git wrote:
    Decision made, order underway as soon as SWMBO agrees :(, it will be fine - she knows it is what i want!

I am going for a GT Zaskar Expert 2007 model - looks good, feels right!

Looking forward to having my first ride, look out guys, yet another newbe on the roads :oops:

Great bike !! Enjoy your first ride,prepare to get addicted !!
  • SPOODZILLA
    SPOODZILLA Posts: 128
    Looks like I posted a minute too late. ahh well...
    Road: 2006 Trek 1500
    Off: 2009 Carrera Fury

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
  • Fat git
    I liked everything about the Malt 2 except the frame colour - the other problem is they are 150 miles away from me, so trying one for size is a little time consuming.
  • Fat git
    Well I eventually got the GT Zaskar, awesome bike, been out on two rides and OMG I have a lot of work to do, legs on fire, but loving it!