road steel frame

unclevit
unclevit Posts: 5
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
hi,
i bought one bianchi c2c alu/carbon about 3 months ago (switched from 3 yrs of mtb), and like the comfort of riding it, for my 3-4 times of 1 hr. city riding (fitness & visiting friends). i like to buy another road bike, but in steel frame. modern production. can anyone recommend a brand for a beginner like me? budget from P.500-P.800 (105's, or Ultetra groupset).
Tks and happy cycling 8)

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Condor fratello, with steel frame and carbon fork. Price depends on group set. Good review HERE
    Think there's one or two people on here who have them and i would definitely have one if i had the spare cash.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Or Bob Jackson Cycles.

Not an enormous choice in off-the-peg steelers.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • richardast
    richardast Posts: 273
    Get an old steel framed bike off ebay but be prepared to buy a set of modern wheels and do a bit of cold-setting.
    Will cost you £200 rather than £500+.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Genesis?

I'm sure they do steel road bike frames
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i have a condor acciaio, it's above budget, but a dedicated steel racer. it's also a staggeringly beautiful machine and gorgeous ride.

i also have a bob jackson vigorelli track frame, also an amazingly pliant yet responsive ride (fixed).

alongside that i have a peugeot px-10 from 1983, late model, with 531 pro tubing, chromed forks and dropouts, it's lithe and nimble, i'm riding it fixed at the moment.

go for steel - and right now, the condor fratello is probably your best bet. if you really want a new steel frame, perhaps dedaccaia, then condor will haev all you need, but you are probably going to have to pay a bit more. £800 should just about do it.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Mercian cycles in Derby often have hand built frames in stock. Mercians are as good as any and better than a lot.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Got an old steel 501 framed bike that I keep at my sisters place in Mallorca. It is in almost mint condition and quite light. Thinking of taking a couple of modern lightweight wheels out to fit instead of the 80s one that are on it. Any advice? Don't go mad I am a tightwad.

Jim
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    ventos?

mavic open pro?

cxp22? (very cheap)