One of those rides

dbrent
dbrent Posts: 31
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
I went out last night with the intention of doing one of the normal routes that I use. I only got 3 miles in and I was totally fed up, my legs didn't seem to have any go in them and I wanted to just pack it in and go home. :cry:

Anyway I carried on and managed just over 12 miles but was not happy with myself (gave myself a severe talking to which drew a few odd looks from passers by) :D

Anyone else have those moments and does a spot of retail therapy cure the lack of motivation?

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    My mates kick me tell im slow and that they could kick my butt.

soons makes me suck it up.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Yep do have those moments from time to time. Usually before I leave the house. Sometimes they persist even when I'm riding. If they do I'll usually cut the ride short as it means I'm knackered or going down with something. Often find the 'I can't face it' feeling disappears 100 yards after I've left the house. :D
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • dbrent
    Waylander,

Unfortunately I ride alone (sounds like a cowboy film) so have to give myself the proverbial boot up the a*se!

StumpyJon,

To be honest I felt OK on the last 3 miles and managed topick up the pace.

Maybe I've just been overdoing it.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I often have days like that when I cant get into it or I ride like a muppet but most times it passes by mid way through the ride after a lot of p**s taking from the lads ! I find the hardest part this time of year is getting motivated and out the door !!
  • dbrent
    Mike,

I know what you mean. Part of the problem was that I was all geared up for getting changed and going straight out when I got in from work then plans changed when I got home as I got lumbered with a couple of quick jobs. :?
  • KonaMike
    Initial motivation is always the problem with me,so I arrange to meet mates to ride on a Sunday morning and then I cant let them down by backing out and staying in bed !! It always takes me 15-20 minutes to get into it and then I have a great day !!
  • Thewaylander
    we kinda do it adhock, we are all in a house together, so one says we ARE going for a ride the rest grumble and get dragged along, then we all come hoome smiling.
  • The fun'll come back, ya hear?
    Me like trials biking me do
  • Thewaylander
    Try and find people to ride with, helps inthe winter monthsi tell ya
  • dbrent
    Well I'm going back out tonight so we'll see how it goes.

If you see an overweight, red faced bloke muttering to himself come over and say hello!! :lol:
  • stumpyjon
    Well I've been out tonight although I nearly didn't as I felt knackered when I got in from work. Really enjoyed it though, the sun came out and despite the ground being really sodden I kept up a good speed. Can really feel my fitness improving, can't wait for the dry Summer trails.

Going out with a super fit friend on SUnday so may not feel so fit by Sunday evening.

• "can't wait for the dry Summer trails"
    I was shocked this weekend, it was dusty almost. But on the way back I was going through snow.

Good'll chaos theory 8)
    Me like trials biking me do
  • dbrent
    Well I went out last night and everything was fine. Hoepfully it was a one off.

If you were riding a red Specialized Rockhopper between Howden and Gilberdyke last night, hello!
  • KonaMike
    Glad you got your flow back !
  • Thewaylander
    Yeh went for a ride last was so glad i did,

Fitness is coming back, and managed to help some poor fella who had accidently only packed his shock pump who had a puncture. so nice ride and good act, went home feeling pleased
  • KonaMike
    I must get some evening rides in now that its a bit lighter,I'm only managing Sundays at the moment.
  • Thewaylander
    Yeh got to cwm by about 5.45 and still loads of light around, was a great evening for weather, bit dingy on the awy up, but clear bright sun on decents!
  • KonaMike
    Yeh got to cwm by about 5.45 and still loads of light around, was a great evening for weather, bit dingy on the awy up, but clear bright sun on decents!

You have made me really jealous now :( I was 1 mile down the road half watching Hollyoaks with a copy of WMB on my lap :roll: I have no rear wheel at the moment as im awaiting delivery of my Mavic 719 from Merlin,after destroying my last one in the Forest of Dean last weekend :( So my bike is currently 'parked up ' :(
  • Thewaylander
    You have my sympathies mate,
  • stumpyjon
    I was shocked this weekend, it was dusty almost.

Where the hell do you live? On second thoughts you might want to keep that secret if you want to keep your trails uncongested :lol: .

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402

How busy are the trails in the evenings? I'm a bit wary of venturing to cwm on a weekend now that the weather is getting a bit better - it'll be packed.
  • Thewaylander
    doesnt matter as long as there is parking space there is room onthe trail, in the evening we met a few fun people on the trail but its farily quiet.

get out there!.

and it was dusty in places last nite! so south wales lol
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    doesnt matter as long as there is parking space there is room onthe trail, in the evening we met a few fun people on the trail but its farily quiet.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of taking the misses along and she hates it when the trails are busy - she feels pressured if quicker riders come up behind her on singletrack/technical bits.

Might see you on the trail one evening.