bike bag

peejay78
peejay78 Posts: 3,378
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
going to ventoux on tuesday, via TGV.

need a 'hausse' or bike bag.

any last minute recommendations?

needs to be el cheapo, but also not gargantuan. thinking of the DHB wiggle.

anyone done it this way before?

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    I've travelled via the Eurostar and the TGV loads of times. Any bag will do as long as it'll fit through the x-ray machine at St Pancras (and it'd have to be gargantuan not to). Enjoy the Ventoux. Are you riding fixed? :wink:
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    no not fixed, condor acciaio, lightweight dedacciai 16.5 steel frame, veloce gs.

thanks for the tip.

where do you put your bike on the tgv? any insider tricks?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    Some TGVs have a separate bike compartment so if you can use that. If not, then you should find that a bike bag will fit on the luggage shelf so I always stick mine on the highest one out of the way. Failing that just stand it in front of or next to the rack and be prepared to move it at stations to allow other passengers access.

The French don't seem to get stressed about these things. Tell them you are off to climb the Ventoux and they'll be mightily impressed as they love it when foreigners travel to their country to ride Tour climbs.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    edited April 2008
    One thing to be aware of is that on doubledecker TGVs the downstairs luggage racks fill up fast (natural human reaction to put your luggage in the first available empty spot). Don't sweat it - there should be space upstairs.

If you are within reach of a Decathlon, they do a reasonably tough lightweight bag which is all you really need for a train.
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    I have the Tifosi bag which then wraps up small, unlike the padded bags. A little pipe lagging and some careful packing and it'll be fine.

Just keep an eye out for suitcases in proximity to your bag...
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan