new at this lark

Peanutt
Peanutt Posts: 229
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Hiya,

I say new, I used to ride 15 years ago and judging by the equipment available nowadays I might as well have never ridden mtb before!!! I managed to grab myself a ride (my dad works at the local tip) pleased with my new found full suss bike I hit the trails only to discover the bike weighs more than an overweight adult!!! I checked it out and it's a cheap taiwanese hulk of steel which is exactly the same as an apollo excel. The geometry is awful the rear suspension is slow to respond and quick on the rebound, it basically sucks.

Can anyone recommend a good frame to start with? bear in mind I get most of my parts from the tip as my budget is pretty non existent.[/i]
No matter where you are, that's where you've been

Comments

• Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    Peanutt wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good frame to start with? bear in mind I get most of my parts from the tip as my budget is pretty non existent.[/i]

So you get a good selection of frames at your dad's tip then ? 8)
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    Is this a serious post?!?

If it is, I would imagine you are better off sticking with the bike you already have... it might be heavy and not very good but for no budget, are you likely to get anything better?

M
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Give people a clue, how much would you like to spend,

What type of riding do you realisticly want to do.

and would you prefer sus or hardtail?
  • Peanutt
    Peanutt Posts: 229
    sorry,

I'd be looking at second hand probably around the £100 mark, are there any older frames you chaps can recommend that can still be picked up cheap and have maintained their dignity over the years? I'd probably be better off with a hard tail. As I say I'm new so please forgive my ignorance, I don't get to ride much but live only a stone's throw from the sussex downs so hopefully I'll be able to get out for a couple of hours a week and as I get better and fitter hopefully progress to a better bike.
    No matter where you are, that's where you've been
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    EBay............EBay............EBay............EBay............EBay............EBay............EBay............