Cranham woods

ahstueyman
ahstueyman Posts: 76
edited May 2008 in MTB rides
i live in churchdown and im heading over to cranham woods for the first time just wondering about what to expect?, wheres the best place to start (enter the woods)? and are the trails pretty easy to follow?

Comments

• I live in Gloucester and have been to Cranham a few times but never found much (found lots, but nothing amazing, so I guess we just havent hit it right or found the good bits!)- it must be the type of place where you need to go with someone that knows where their going!

For a slightly different area, we often start at daisybank lane on Leckhampton Hill- up the Hill, turning roughly east(ish) follow the hill line past the golf course (down and to the left)- signed towards the Cotswold way. Stop at the pub at Severn Springs for a coffee- on the road until you can turn right back past the star college then right up a fire road back to the hill, then down the downhill track. 1.5-2hr ride depending how long you waste at the pub.

Alternatively- instead of going left when you're up the hill, head over to the birdlip viewing point (past star college) and you can carry on over to Cranham- you can easily explore the woods- there's loads there, I just always get the feeling its the kind of place you need to know someone that really knows the right way to link the trails through the woods.
  • yeh, i only touched on the edge of the woods yesterday, weather looked like it was about to turn for the worst so did some fun little track from the top of coopers hill but not alot else, fun ride home aswell down "green lane" 25% gradient tiny little country lane!
  • hiya mate wot type of riding you into cos me and my mate ride dh and freeride and we have some kool jump spots and fast singletrack.
  • I tend to do the usual xc/singletrack type stuff, but we'll often make sure the ride ends with a couple of goes down the track at Leckhampton Hill, or if you know where you're going you can do almost 2miles down Cleeve Hill, through nutters wood (QueensWood) out into Southam- often muddy and probably quite overgrown this time of year.

Going to proabbly go up Cleeve today and cycle the Cotswold Way to Leckhampton- only about 8 miles by road through town but some pretty steep hills on the C.Way path!