Trek 1.7

LingfieldXC
LingfieldXC Posts: 134
edited May 2008 in Road beginners
Hi - I remember reading a post about the above bike but tried to find it again and couldn't. Anyway I am looking at getting one soon and am going to get measured soon but remember reading that people recommended getting 1 size up from your measurement. I was wondering if I remembered correctly. I think this would be sensible as I am still growing slightly but would like to know what people think. Thanks all.
Your'e never alone with schizophrenia.

Comments

• Hi there I've ordered the same bike and went to get measured up at j.e james they sat me on a trek 1.2 and worked out what I needed. I'm 5 foot 10 and am getting a 56 if that's any help.
    I'm sure any reputable dealer will be able to advise you.
    You're not buying over the internet are you?
  • LingfieldXC
    I'm allmost 5'10", just a bit under atm but am still growing, I thought I stopped half way through last year at 5'8" but measured myself again recently and was 5'9" and a bit. I may not buy the bike just yet, and see if I stop growing. Which bike are you getting? I assume 1.7 but not sure. Thanks for the help. I am going to LBS tomorrow to get properly fitted and we shall see.
  • cframe
    cframe Posts: 171
    I should hopefully be getting mine sometime this week, assuming Trek gets them in stock when they said they would be.

I'm around the 5'10" mark as well and was pretty much on the line between a 54 and a 56 frame.

Ended up going for the 54 but the bike shop is gonna switch out the standard 90mm stem for a 100mm one. The 56 was a bit of a reach and the 54 was maybe a bit tight but the longer stem made just enough difference.
    How's that for a slice of fried gold?
  • LingfieldXC
    I went along to the shop today to get sized up and they where utterly useless. 400 bikes in stock and not one a trek road bike! Anyway had a sit on a cannondale and pinnacle. Didn't like either, both seemed quite small. I reckon I will probably be a 52 or 54. I am going to go to another bike shop soon which I know has some trek in stock. I think I may be able to get the 1.9 now as I may be using the cycle to work scheme. Tell us when you get the new bikes delivered, breif review etc.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    I am also looking at getting the 1.7 but I was just wondering about the wheels.

Are bontrager ssr much better as a wheelset compared with others on stock bikes from the 600-800 range for example the Alex rims on the SCR ranges or Jalco on the Allez sport?

Looking at the way it is kitted out I would say the trek 1.7 is a much better value for money but then coming from a mountain bike background I am not sure if I am correct in this assumption.
  • I'm allmost 5'10", just a bit under atm but am still growing, I thought I stopped half way through last year at 5'8" but measured myself again recently and was 5'9" and a bit. I may not buy the bike just yet, and see if I stop growing. Which bike are you getting? I assume 1.7 but not sure. Thanks for the help. I am going to LBS tomorrow to get properly fitted and we shall see.

I'm getting the 1.7 seems a good spec at a good price, and the reviews I have seen are all good. Proof is in the pudding though so i'll post a review of my own soon.
  • LingfieldXC
    well did some measurements myself and it looks like i need between 54 and 56 frame. which sounds about right.
  • 996JAT
    996JAT Posts: 94
    I got the Trek 1.7, 58cm and am 6.0ft 3 weeks ago

Its a great bike, very quick, saddle is a bit painfull, tyres and grip are great.

Also try and get all the trek computer kit, its got a slot in the fork for the the speed sensor and i got the incite computer and HR strap. Great thing is theres no wires and its excellent to check speed although my average is a poor 12mph. but i'm fat and coming from a mountain bike.

Jat
  • LeeMac
    LeeMac Posts: 1
    HI folks,

I was looking at buying a 1.7 also, i am new to cycling and it will be my first road bike, i have been advised by my LBS that a 58cm frame would do me, im only 5ft 10" and thot id be a 56cm?
    Thats just from going by what i have read and what other cyclists have told me, is there anything in specific i should be looking for in terms of how to tell what a good fit is? Any comments/ advice would be appreciated.
    Im also considering a Cube Attempt with SRAM Rival gearing, both offered to me at £720 from different retailers, again any comments? Thanks
  • Best go some where like www.primera-sport.co.uk - if you are buying a new bike they give a Free pro bike fit, takes a little time but it makes sure uou get the correct size. I brought my Cervelo from there and it fits spot on.
  • curlyrobert
    curlyrobert Posts: 150
    I agree with Disco2006

go to a good lbs and get a proper fit, sigma sport in Kingston do very good free fit and will spend a couple of hours getting you set up perfectly with no obligation to buy (They are also a Trek dealer). sure there will be a good shop local to you that would do the same, otherwise spend as long as you have got in your lbs getting them to adjust all the bikes you are interested in to get the right fit, if they are willing you can be sure you will get a good after service too :)
    the day I stop dreaming of upgrades is the day die!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3370/3261181810_727612440a_o.jpg My Stable
  • 996JAT wrote:
    I got the Trek 1.7, 58cm and am 6.0ft 3 weeks ago

Its a great bike, very quick, saddle is a bit painfull, tyres and grip are great.

Also try and get all the trek computer kit, its got a slot in the fork for the the speed sensor and i got the incite computer and HR strap. Great thing is theres no wires and its excellent to check speed although my average is a poor 12mph. but i'm fat and coming from a mountain bike.

Jat

Hi, I'm intereseted to know where you got the computer as I've got the same bike.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Interested to read the frame sizes that are being suggested for people's height. I don't have a trek so feel completely free to skip to the next post.
    However i think people need to consider what type of riding they want to do. If you fancy always being as fast as you can it will be easier to adopt a more aggressive streamlined position on the slightly smaller frame. A larger frame will probably give you a slightly more relaxed, upright stance that is not quite so good for speed.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • I bought the Trek 1.2 triple in November as a winter/leave at the station bike, after having my previous one stolen. If the 1.2 is anything to go buy then the 1.7 should be an excellent purchase. For the cheapest Trek on the market, the 1.2 has been brilliant & reliable throughout this never ending winter. I had puncture problems with the tyres, but that has probably happened to most folk recently. I'm 6ft & have the 60, it's true that you need one size larger than usual with these bikes, but I always need a larger size anyway. Very impressed with my Trek. My other bike is a Giant SCRC4. Get one & enjoy.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Slight hijack... Bornagaincycle: How does it compare with the SCR C4, are they that different to warrant a whole new bike? I have a short list down to a Trek 1.9, Spec Roubaix Elite and a Giant SCR C3, Trek seems the best value as I really don't need a carbon frame unless it's noticeably more comfortable than aluminium.