Giant SCR 1.0

dboden
dboden Posts: 349
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I am new to road cycling.
I have just bought a Giant SCR 1.0 2007 second hand, as new for £400.
Feedback from people that have them please.
Also how long can I expect to be using this standard of bike before needing to upgrade?
Have I done the right thing?.... Gulp.
Its all a bit daunting at the start.

Comments

• DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Ive got the 2007 giant scr 1.0 I paid about £600 new for it. Great bike Im doing 14 miles a day commuting on it with panniers and all, far faster than my previous hybrid...

The only way to tell when you will want to upgrade is when you start riding it, personally Im not feeling the "need" to upgrade, although if you were to want to I would have thought wheels would have been your first stop, depends largelly on what you want out of your bike. If you are time trialling you might want to upgrade sooner than if you are commuting.

Overall the bikes a nice bike 105 gearing is a decent level, the brakes are respectable, the wheels and tyres are the weakest points of the while bike and the wheels are acceptable enough, mine have done around 2500 miles now...
  • dboden
    I think the trouble is, I will be going out with my mates, who have all got carbon bikes £1000 upwards. I,m afraid I had a budget (or: wife & family).

But this makes me think, will I always be at the back because of the quality of my bike?????
  • DavidTQ
    dboden wrote:
    I think the trouble is, I will be going out with my mates, who have all got carbon bikes £1000 upwards. I,m afraid I had a budget (or: wife & family).

But this makes me think, will I always be at the back because of the quality of my bike?????

In that case first stop would be some GP4000s's (700x23) :D look around for good prices! Fitness will make more of a difference than bike at that sort of level! their carbon steed wont give them that big an advantage once you get yourself on some proper tyres. Wheels would be a nice upgrade when you can afford it. But its cheaper to improve the rider than the bike :D the rrp on your bike is £850 so its not a "cheap" bike, and its considered good value for money at its rrp!

get down to lidls fast, they are selling some nice bike computers, and track pumps cheap, you will be wanting one of them :D

Get your tyre pressures setup right (I like tohave the front about 110psi and like to have around 120ish at the rear but you will need to work out your own pressures) and take time on your bike setup, you wont be lagging a huge way behind your friends.
  • dboden
    Hey keep these tips coming... :wink:

Didn't even know the pressures made that much difference

How much are lidl doing computers for?
    Are they wireless?
  • DavidTQ
    dboden wrote:
    Hey keep these tips coming... :wink:

Didn't even know the pressures made that much difference

How much are lidl doing computers for?
    Are they wireless?

Tyre pressures make a big difference the higher the pressure the better they will roll but the less comfort you will get out of them, I find reducing front pressure a little bit improves the comfort of the bike nicely. Ifyou ever let your tyres get down to 80-90 then pump them up you will feel the big difference tyre pressures can make, Its worth playing around to find what suits you.

The bike computer is wireless with a heart rate monitor (great for training) for £12.99

I thought I had seen a non heart rate one for £2.99 as well but cant see it on their website. The cycle computer I got from there last year was decent enough, I took it off the bike once I got bored of using it though. They are also doing some decent cycling glasses as well, with 3 sets of lenses.
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    The Scr range is very popular and for good reason, they are good value and nice to ride. As said above fitness will play more of a role in whether you keep up with your mates or not. The bike you have with the kit on it will be plenty fast enough for you to keep up with them. I agree totally with the tyre pressure point made above, I would also say check them every time you go out as you will be amazed how quickly tyres lose there pressure. The difference between 110 psi and 80psi is massive when you are on the road. I would also look at getting some better wheels when funds allow. Paul Hewitt (do a google search) does excellent handbuilt wheels that will last as long as you want them. I got some Mavic Open Pros with Ultegra hubs and they are excellent, no flex at all and I'm not too slim!! They were about £220 delivered from memory. If you get some lightweight 23 tyres on these you will notive a big difference.
  • dboden
    That sounds the way forward.
    I already want some, and I haven't even been on the bike yet!
    Brilliant, thanks for that
  • Siechotic
    Siechotic Posts: 86
    edited April 2008
    I ride a slighty modified SCR1, I changed the standard wheels for Mavic Aksiums fitted with GP4000s, I also changed the compact chainrings for a 53/39 and stuck on a Fizik Arione saddle.

The lads I go riding with have a range of bikes, ranging from a £200 Raliegh Airlite to one lucky bloke (who's wife is very accomodating) with a £4000 Giant TCR Advanced 1.

As DavidTQ said earlier fitness makes more difference than the wieght.

I regularly leave the blokes with carbon bikes on many a hill, and never have I been dropped.

The lad with the Airlite does struggle sometimes, but that's mainly due to his dodgy gearing mix.

As far as the SCR 1 goes, it is a tremendous bike, nice and comfortable on long rides. It does become a bit squiffy sometimes at high speeds (50mph+), the 105 group set is pretty much spot on with crisp fast changes.

I've had some snotty looks from other people when I have passed them up hills as they are pedalling their carbon framed bike like billywhizz! :wink:

Have fun on your SCR 1, dboden.

edit:Having re-read my post I seem to be impling that the the blokes wife is a bike her self, that is not the case, what I meant to say is that is a very understanding woman. :oops:
  • wors
    wors Posts: 90
    I have an ocr which was replaced by the scr. i don't feel the need for a lighter bike, at 14.5 stone a kilo or so for a carbon bike isn't going to make any difference. I'd upgrade the wheels as mentioned when you get chance and just do plenty of sessions on the bike to improve you fitness and strength.
  • dboden
    It sounds like wheels then. But there is so many to choose from.
    Anyway, I think I,ll get some miles under my belt before I even think about these.