New person - NE Wales (what better place to be with a MTB?)

judith_sw
judith_sw Posts: 101
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Just saying hi as a new person!

I've recently bought my brother's (totally unused but rather dusty) 2001 Marin Nail Trail off him and taken up mountain biking again ... previous efforts were when I lived in France and used to half scare myself to death in the Monts du Lyonnais! Since married a man who can't (yet) ride a bike ... he works strange hours, so I'll still have time to go out and about ... although he's now showing an interest in learning how to ride a bike and would probably be way better at MTB than me!!!

However, recent purchase of bike + upgrade this week to disk brakes enthusing me to get out. I tried the blue route at Llandegla last week and found it great. No probs on the uphill, bit slow on the downhill bit. How good do you need to be to try the red? Tempted to try Marin route soonish - any advice on that? I'm reasonably fit (more hill-fit than cycling fit), and would like to give it a go at a sensible pace ... all day if necessary.

I guess I'm lucky to live in North Wales - Moel Famau is my closest. I've seen a few 'easy' routes described around there. Any comments would be appreciated! I'm very happy to work my way up the grading slowly!

Thanks and looking forward to joining the community!

Judith :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hello and welcome!

Old nail trail a good bike!
  • If you're in Chester check out this lot

http://www.chestermtb.co.uk/
  • garlleg
    garlleg Posts: 4
    judith_sw wrote:
    Just saying hi as a new person!

I've recently bought my brother's (totally unused but rather dusty) 2001 Marin Nail Trail off him and taken up mountain biking again ... previous efforts were when I lived in France and used to half scare myself to death in the Monts du Lyonnais! Since married a man who can't (yet) ride a bike ... he works strange hours, so I'll still have time to go out and about ... although he's now showing an interest in learning how to ride a bike and would probably be way better at MTB than me!!!

However, recent purchase of bike + upgrade this week to disk brakes enthusing me to get out. I tried the blue route at Llandegla last week and found it great. No probs on the uphill, bit slow on the downhill bit. How good do you need to be to try the red? Tempted to try Marin route soonish - any advice on that? I'm reasonably fit (more hill-fit than cycling fit), and would like to give it a go at a sensible pace ... all day if necessary.

I guess I'm lucky to live in North Wales - Moel Famau is my closest. I've seen a few 'easy' routes described around there. Any comments would be appreciated! I'm very happy to work my way up the grading slowly!

Thanks and looking forward to joining the community!

Judith :)

i've just started mtbing and live in the same area, I never realised there were trails in moel famau, don't think i've ever seen a bike up there !
  • slimbob
    slimbob Posts: 35
    Hello,

Good to hear you're burning up the hills. This is my experience (for what it's worth):

When my g/f and I started mtbing a couple of years ago we went to Hamsterley Forest, did the blue on the first ride, red on the second and black on the third. I've got a load of friends into taking up biking since and they've done the same. There is stuff they avoid on the black but it doesn't ruin the ride at all, just requires walking in one or two places. (The red at Hamsterley is extremely tame) I don't know what the trails you've mentioned are like as I tend to go up to Scotland but overall reds tend not to be extreme. You'll always see any hazards coming. Enjoy.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Welcome!

Will be up in north wales for the bank holiday riding Coed so get your bum down there awsome trails! nearly as good as my locals hehe
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Hi,

The red in Llandegla isn't too bad but it is a bit of a step up from the blue. Maybe do the blue a few times to get your skills up before attacking the red! Same for the Marin!

Unfortunately much of the Moel Famau area is off bounds for bikes. However there are some way marked mountain bike routes available, check out:-

http://www.ridetheclwyds.com

This one is quite a good beginners route, particularly on a nice sunny day! :-

http://www.ridetheclwyds.com/rideclwyds ... sp?l=reset

Beware the gate at the bottom of the grassy downhill bit!

Have fun!

Stu
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think I've ridden the marin trail. That is to say, we were wandering through the forest, and found a trail, and followed it's marker posts.
    If it was the Marin trail, I'd say that it needs very high levels of fitness. Although, having said that, i did smoke at the time :oops:

But as for Llandegla's red route? you'll be fine. I took my mate's 15 year old daughter out there this weekend. Only the second time she's ever ridden a mountain bike, and she's already trying to air of anything that vaguely resembles a jump there! She struggled a bit with stamina, but byt stopping for a breather after some of the climbs, we made it round allright.
  • ChilledBud
    ChilledBud Posts: 114
    Been MTB for all of 4 runs now, 1st was Coedy ( not sure of trail ) and all the others at Llandegla.First time in Llandegla and I went straight out onto the red and had no great issues, couple of quick walks and definalty didnt try the North Shore of death :lol: . Then went back and did the red one more time.
    Went out Sunday with a few mates who ride a lot, and had no great choice as I was being given tips etc but too do the black route, and it was immensly good fun. Only walked a couple times and found going at my pace there wasn't anything much of any great danger. And I found this time the start of the death North Shore was a no go as I saw too many proper bikers slip since the mesh was wet and has started to wear very thin, but after the little up section of the North Shore I hopped on and with gritted teeth and less change of ever having children I did it all on a £300 hard tail.

10/10 for sheer fun.
  • Anonymous
    WARNING - i'm in a foul mood, just stopped nicotine chewing gums yesterday - WARNING

Hmm. I wish people would stop calling it the north shore of death. (even though it is the most technically challenging section of trail there).
    Too many people, it seems, do not want to be challenged. If your nuts are aching after it, then you obviously were'nt standing on the pedals, which you really should on a section like that. Standing makes it easier to shift your weight forwards/backwards to balance traction, and it also makes it easier to vacate your steed, should it all go pete tong.

For some perspective, our 15-year old charge, on a hardtail, managed to clear the "not shore" (their name not mine) perectly, apart from one little slip when she lost traction. It was her second ever off-road excursion, having only ridden the blue run there a few weeks before.
    So, if you fail to clear it, you really are riding like a little girl! :wink:
  • judith_sw
    Hi and thanks for all the replies - I hadn't realised so many people had answered, as the email notifications stopped.

Was walking on Moel Famau at weekend with dog - saw lots of bike routes around - they seem to be quite well marked.

I haven't managed to get out on my bike in the last week, due to crappy work commitments :twisted: , but should be able to get away at a reasonable time tomorrow ... possibility of Llandegla ... maybe try the blue again. Is it popular in the evening? I suppose I'll still need to pay to park :(

I'm really tempted by Marin at the weekend - I don't mind having to walk a little bit if necessary, but I'm reasonably aerobically fit (I think!). Are there any really scary bits to worry about ... I'm afraid I still bike like a girl :lol:

Thanks again for the replies.

Judith
  • Anonymous
    well, if it was the marin trail I rode, there's nothing techy on it. But there are nasty climbs.
    Of course, this doesn't mean anything, as it might NOT have been the marin trail!

I've never heard anyone call the marin trail technical though, it's pretty old-skool, so it's more chalenging aerobically than skils-wise.
  • judith_sw
    Did the Marin this morning! I went out early and was surprised at how quiet it was. No rain either.

It took me 3 hours, which I was pleased with, as it was my first attempt. The ascents were OK and I didn't need to stop until the last one, which was cruel, so close to the end!!! Otherwise OK, albeit at a snail's pace! :oops:

A couple of the downhill bits were a bit scary, but I felt a lot more confident by the end, and the last descent was great fun.

Especial thanks to the nice guys from Stoke who came to the rescue with the right size allen key and then followed me to tell me I'd overshot a turning! True gents - I owe you a beer :lol:

Great fun - will do it again ...soon and faster! Thanks for all the advice.

Judith