Clueless beginner

Dobbs
Dobbs Posts: 186
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello All,
I am, as mentioned a clueless beginner.
Got a bike and ready to go. Don't know where, mind.
My question is how is the best way to learn?
I have some friends who ride, but they are off to places like Cwmcarn, Afan etc.
They reckon that it's probably a little much for a novice, which is probably a fair comment.
I would imagine that I may spoil their ride by being a spoon and falling of every five minutes. I plan to just ride some local stuff (Ashton court etc), but how will I know when I'm doing something wrong? (aside from the cuts and bruises). How do I know how fast I should be going? Would joining a group help? (I've heard they can be clicky)
Am I going to learn much without somebody pointing out my mistakes?
Sorry for the bone questions, and thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• jeffers696
    jeffers696 Posts: 328
    i would say ask your mates if you can go with, if they are decent mates they wont mind your speed, and help you out. i find being in the deep end if the best way of learning.
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if you are concious of slowing your mates down whilst out on a ride why not find out which routes they use and how long they take to complete it then and go on your own and see how you get on.

this way you can give yourself a challenge to see how close you can get to your friends times and if you feel out of your depth, you can stop without ruining anyones fun. i find riding on my own means i am more confident and more likely to have a go at stuff as i dont need to worry about being laughed at for being dog toffee.

dont worry about how fast you are either as you will naturally get quicker with time and experience
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    I should think to start with just have a go what you fancy! If you don't like the look of it then don't do it until you've got a bit more experience! From the little riding I've done I've found it much more satisfying to do an easy bit really well, nice and smooth etc, than to bash around a tricky trail clipping trees!
    I should explore a bit on your own to get a bit of experience then chase your mates into taking you. Being in a group is often a good way to learn - you get egged on into doing things you probably wouldn't have done on your own!
    Have fun!
    Pete.

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • MattW87
    MattW87 Posts: 60
    I think you should tag along with your mates, ride in the middle of the group and you will not get left behind, and the guy(s) following you can give you hints and tips on your technique etc. From what i have heard (ive yet to try!) the cwmcarn and afan trails are fine for a novice if you take your time, just try to avoid the black routes for the first few rides!

Matt
    2008 Cube LTD Team - http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1921374/
    2004 Dawes Tamarak DX