New bike needed for climbing in the Alps?

NUFCrichard
NUFCrichard Posts: 103
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I'm a relative novice to proper cycling, I bought myself a very cheap road bike (carrera virtuoso) last November for commuting my 8 miles to work. Now I have decided to go to the Alps and climb a few of the famous cols, will I be able to do it on my cheapo bike?

I have done a good bit of training, my first century (London-Brighton-London) on my current bike okay but don't know if:

a) my 36:25 will be a low enough gear for me
or b) I am going to hamper myself by using a poor bike when climbing serious mountains.

What do you think? I have 10 weeks until I go away so I have some time to decide but I'd obviously rather know sooner than later!

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Depends on fitness, and if the bike is running smoothly - if you're happy with it, no need to change. I reckon 36/25 should be OK, I've done HC Alpine climbs on a 34/23 which must be pretty similar ratio. Its really not about the bike - last time me and my mates went to the Alps, one guy hired a mountain bike (with suspension forks and knobbly tyres) and beat all but 2 of us to the top of the col de Joux Plane.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    You could fit a 34 inner ring and change the cassette to a 12/27 quite cheaply. This would give lower gears and should be fine. Don't change the bike just for the trip. If you are comfortable on it stay with it. If not start looking now. That opens a whole new can of worms.
  • I agree John T, my carrera valour had change the cassette 11-28 and still same crankset 50/36. then just tune up . No problem and cheaper.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Newcastle supporters are't allowed on the alps - Safc are :wink:

seriously though if you took in the big hills on london to brighton and return ok then i would think just a rear cassette change will more than suffice - unless of course you are just trying to justify buying a new bike :lol: in which case . A carrera will never do.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Treat yourself to a new bike, my Virtuoso is slowly falling apart and will be binned in 7 weeks.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I've done the Alps twice; once on a heavy steel touring bike (stripped down); once on a carbon one.

Get a new bike.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    This kind of Carrera will do :)

http://www.carrera-podium.it/

May be able to afford a Carrera Aries one of these days.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Unless you really want a new bike then don't bother. You might swap the cassette for one with a bigger bottom sprocket (27?) and fit a new chain (not a bad idea anyway for a long trip).

My wife and I have ridden lots of Pyrrenean and Alpine cols on steel Mercian touring bikes with full camping gear with no problems. I may not be quite so spritely now but we were in our mid to late 40s when we did it. It's nonsense to think you need special bikes for every different activity. Provided you have a well maintained reasonable quality road machine it's good for most things - touring, commuting, racing (time trials), even mild off-road - with minor adjustments to accessories.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • NUFCrichard
    NUFCrichard Posts: 103
    Thanks for your responses, they weren't what I expected but it's good to know I should just about be able to go on my current bike.

It'll also allow me to buy myself a good speedo, sunglasses (to hide my pain!) and a bike bag without breaking the bank...
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Apart from the bike, make sure you get your fuel strategy right. I was used to long days in the saddle and had done three-week tours before I went Col hunting in the Alps, so I just ate and drank what I normally would. Big mistake. It is almost incredible how much energy you need to ride all day in the mountains. I kept running out and feeling rubbish.

Also, eat digestible things. Quite a lot of traditional Alpine cuisine is based on bacon, cheese, cream and other high fat foods because of the harshness of the winters. These are not good things to be processing on long rides!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)