Campsites near Llandegla

Revolver22
Revolver22 Posts: 44
edited April 2008 in MTB rides
Im going to Llandegla this weekend with a few mates for the first time and was just wondering if anyone knew of or could recommend any good (ideally cheap!) campsites nearby?

Also any tips/thoughts for first time (rubbish riders!) to Llandegla would also be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• I am beginner with basic skills, I tried the blue route, It was a good route but quite short and left me wanting a bit more. If you have the time and are unsure of your ability it would be worth doing the blue to see how you feel and if you find it easy then you can have a break with a bacon butty then go out and do the red.
  • Ok cool, cheers for that mate
  • I'd go straight for the red route mate, it's really not that bad, just take it a bit slower!
    It's all good fun until someone loses a bollock.

2010 Orange Crush
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    The red and black are about the same in level of skill so you need to be fit and strong on some of the climbs on the black half way round.
    A killer of a climb to start with to get to the top, then loads of fast rolling sections on the way down. You can ride these how you want, jumping or just rolling over the jumps.
    The north shore section with the logs on the red run needs respect as it can be tricky when wet and catches loads of people out.
  • millster
    millster Posts: 209
    personally I woudnt be bothered about going for the black 1st time round. not much that could catch you out if you go at your own pace and dont get carried away. like said above you can roll over the jumps and just roll of the end of the drop shore bit. wont take you too long eother you could easily cram in 2 loops, so do the red 1st and then black if your feelin up to it. DEFINATLY go for award winning bacon butty lol!

as for campsites, if you head from llandegla on the A5104 towards pontblyddyn, thers a few campsites along that way, but not many really, area isnt that well known for campsites! im only 7miles away in pontblyddyn so any more info give me a shout!
  • millster
    personally I woudnt be bothered about going for the black 1st time round. not much that could catch you out if you go at your own pace and dont get carried away. like said above you can roll over the jumps and just roll of the end of the drop shore bit. wont take you too long eother you could easily cram in 2 loops, so do the red 1st and then black if your feelin up to it. DEFINATLY go for award winning bacon butty lol!

as for campsites, if you head from llandegla on the A5104 towards pontblyddyn, thers a few campsites along that way, but not many really, area isnt that well known for campsites! im only 7miles away in pontblyddyn so any more info give me a shout!
  • Thanks for all your replies guys, much appreciated.

Saw some videos of it on youtube today, really looking forward to it, well apart from the crash videos I saw....!
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    Hmm, always avoided the Black as i thought it was more suited for FS.
    Notice at the Start also points to "Unavoidable Obstacles"
  • millster
    Sikora wrote:
    Hmm, always avoided the Black as i thought it was more suited for FS.
    Notice at the Start also points to "Unavoidable Obstacles"

the unavoidable objects are the north shore bit wher ther is a sharp slope that you can easily roll off, and about 3 drops that are no more than 1 foot in height.
  • saintadolf
    saintadolf Posts: 245
    all the sign are just health and safety really me and my bro went up there about a month ago and just used the kona hosses they hire out with no real problems apart from it was the week after half term and most of the hire bikes were wrecked and half of them had really really over filled (with air) forks. we only really ride in the new forest normally but it was pretty easy going (apart from the switch back climb on the black thats a killer) and when my bro got taken out mid air on a step down by a tree!?! (should have filmed that would have got me 250 quid on ybf).
    06 Kona Blast with RS Tora solo airs :)
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    your going to be freezing best get a youth hostel or
    cheap B&B

I remember camping in Grizdale Forest in the summer and
    it was that cold they were going to shut the camp site.

But i hope it goes well for you.