New top speed

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    55 a couple of weeks ago coming down the Sheffield side of Woodhead - blooming huge tailwind. That was without trying as I was going for the brakes as I knew an exposed part was coming up (side winds) - but was still doing 45 on the lower slopes.... bad thing 6 mph coming back over the Snake in a 39 x 21 out of the saddle honking it......

Have done 60 ish in North Wales some years back.....
  • 52 mph in 1991 somewhere around the clent hills. since starting riding again 2 yrs ago then not topped 45 yet...must be time to switch from a compact to a "proper" chainset... :wink:
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    53.9mph - average! :lol:

Not really! My highest ever max though.
    I have pain!
  • stephec
    stephec Posts: 795
    LangerDan wrote:
    rubbing your leg along the Armco at over 60km/h is definitely a sign to slow down.

I bet that caused some skid marks. :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    92.5 km/h. Road tandem.

Solo bikes. Pah :)

Jeez. Were you steering or at the back?
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    52 mph in 1991 somewhere around the clent hills. since starting riding again 2 yrs ago then not topped 45 yet...must be time to switch from a compact to a "proper" chainset... :wink:

53 coming down Caerphilly Mountain [with the breaks on] in thin shirt and crapping myself when I checked the stats at home :shock:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Think I can safely say my cycle computer is broken... got home today after a good ride home from work and checked to find I'd done 54.1 mph! I'm sure that's not accurate. Wish it was, but that's a whole 12mph faster than my previous PB and it's raining

:(
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    on a fixed :?
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • gazza_d1
    gazza_d1 Posts: 53
    clum1984 wrote:
    50.1 mph. Just outside Darlington doing JOGLE last year.

I'm originally from Darlo, and know most if not all of the roads around it, and can think of only a couple of places where the magic 50 would be possible.

Interested to learn where. I can only think you were heading south on the b road from the A68 at Royal Oak towards piercebridge.

I'm a LEJOG veteran twice over btw. If you did do it north to south, can I ask why?

cheers

Gaz
  • 52 mph in 1991 somewhere around the clent hills. since starting riding again 2 yrs ago then not topped 45 yet...must be time to switch from a compact to a "proper" chainset... :wink:

53 coming down Caerphilly Mountain [with the breaks on] in thin shirt and crapping myself when I checked the stats at home :shock:

lol take the average though eh Mark, down and UP :wink:
  • Johncp wrote:
    48.5mph coming off the top of the Preseli mountains in Pembs - part of Tour of Pembrokeshire route if you fancy a go - freewheeling all the way until i spotted a gentle right-left bend and went for the brakes :roll: 55 gotta be possible if you tuck and pedal :P

Yeah, i've had 57mph down the side towards Eglwyswrw, and I was tucked in as much as I could and didnt stop pedalling!
  • rhys_gibby wrote:
    Johncp wrote:
    48.5mph coming off the top of the Preseli mountains in Pembs - part of Tour of Pembrokeshire route if you fancy a go - freewheeling all the way until i spotted a gentle right-left bend and went for the brakes :roll: 55 gotta be possible if you tuck and pedal :P

Yeah, i've had 57mph down the side towards Eglwyswrw, and I was tucked in as much as I could and didnt stop pedalling!

Am riding this event this year so that will be fun :D
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    567 mph Singapore to Sydney on Qantas 747

:D
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    But were you on the bike at the time? :wink:
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    But were you on the bike at the time? :wink:

No, I was sat on a toilet, travelling sideways :oops:
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I've hit 88kph (55 mph old money) but felt a bit sheepish as one of the guys with me hit 95kph on the same hill.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • clanton wrote:
    92.5 km/h. Road tandem.

Jeez. Were you steering or at the back?

Steering, with Lesleigh egging me on.

The usual good conditions for a silly speed: a long, straight, steep hill with plenty of visibility.

I backed off for a curve because I couldn't see what it did. Annoying, because it was gentle enough that I could have stayed tucked and perhaps got another km/h or two of bragging rights.
    John Stevenson
  • 57 mph on a very scary hill in cornwall when i was younger with much bigger cohones than i have now :wink: . think i would have my hands firmly on the brakes now.
  • luke2792
    luke2792 Posts: 37
    41.5 had to slow due to narrowing road and 30mph speed limit that cars obey meaning that they slow down in front and get in the way
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Don't really remember but it was enough to scare the hell out of me when I saw a bit of
    gravel on the road ahead, in a turn, and nowhere to go. I'm still cleaning those bibs out.

dennis noward
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    92.5 km/h. Road tandem.

I'll raise you a 96 km/h down Fitz's Hill in the Canberra two day tour. And a 93km/h on a bunch ride in Perth a few years ago :wink:
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • gazza_d1
    gazza_d1 Posts: 53
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    92.5 km/h. Road tandem.

I'll raise you a 96 km/h down Fitz's Hill in the Canberra two day tour. And a 93km/h on a bunch ride in Perth a few years ago :wink:

2 things - 98km/h on a solo on arran(scotland). also posted earlier on in this thread

Could always outrun my mate and his missus on their tandem, plus I often cheated flicked thier drum brake on, while nipping through on the inside! took 'em ages to learn.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    cannyscott wrote:
    57 mph on a very scary hill in cornwall when i was younger with much bigger cohones than i have now :wink: . think i would have my hands firmly on the brakes now.

Where?
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    I heard the commentators on Eurosport a year or two back...
    Dave Harmon (sp) said "these guysa must be moving...Sean, how fast have you been in a race"

Sean Kelly - "Once I tipped ninety-five on this decent"

Harmon - "What, km/hr"

Kelly - "No, miles per hour.." :shock:

Of course I Can do that on my monocycle whilst juggling. The beauty of unverified claims...
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • krakow
    krakow Posts: 110
    A mere pittance compared to the big guns here, but I had fun hitting 32mph today, which I shamelessly admit is the fastest I've been for a fair while. Representing for the wusses and the hill-less!

I remember topping 40mph while fully-loaded on a touring holiday making my way home from Warwick uni to Liverpool, but I can't remember the exact speed or what hill it was on.
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread, as I hit a new max today -

60mph!!

Previous best was 55 down the same hill (Fleet Moss down into Hawes). Because that road's got great visibility, is pretty wide and smooth, it didn't feel nearly as scary as I would have imagined. My mate following hit exactly the same too. Next target - 100kph! :shock:
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    230 km/h on the autobahn outside Frankfurt airport, oh on a bike!! sorry.

41 mph, feeble I know, I was in a 30 limit and I wouldnt overtake a car. Brook St hill in Brentwood.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Fastest road i can remember from when i used to cycle in shropshire was cothercott hill. Managed to break 50mph once.
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Did 42.6 yesterday, on a newish hill, so I was sat up :o
  • 43.2mph on the Forest of Dean Classic on the last descent into Monmouth. Felt fantastic.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike