why I am cold after cycling?

neiljohn
neiljohn Posts: 35
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
This is a silly little query, After I have finished going out on my bike, had a shower and something to eat my lower back feels very cold.

I wear a base layer & cycling jersey (if cold a jacket as well) so I am warm while out on the bike.

Is this just me being special or does anyone else suffer from this?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've noticed this as well, and I suspect it has something to do with low energy levels.
    As soon as I've had something half-decent to eat, I'm fine again.
  • dan6116
    dan6116 Posts: 11
    I'm not sure neiljohn if you've already answered this but is your lower back properly covered when you lean over on your bike? Maybe your cycling jersey isn't quite long enough?? A simple question but I always have a problem when I'm forced to go out without my cycling specific clothing (with a drop tail), even when I think before I leave that I'll be fine it can only take a millimetre of a gap to get you really cold!

Alternatively I'm with yeehaamcgee, something half-decent to eat + drink.
    dan6116
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dan, I'm still thinking it's more to do with low energy levels. I get this whether I've been running, climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, doing weights, or even just hammering away at my punch bag. The more physically knackered I am, the more pronounced the effect.
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    I often experience this after running (not lower back, but rather a general coldness that's most extreme in my hands - the skin under my nails even turns blue), but had never experienced it after cycling until last night when I had to cycle home from work without enough warm clothes. I ended up going to bed fully dressed, wearing socks and gloves, and losing the layers as I got too hot during the night. This happened despite having a good meal the moment I came in the door.

After running, the only thing I find that solves it is a hot bath. I only have to be in the bath a couple of minutes, and I warm up and the feeling comes back into my fingers. I read in Runner's World magazine this month that it happens because your core temperature drops after completing a run, so maybe the same applies after a hard cycle ride.
  • dan6116
    dan6116 Posts: 11
    I get what you're describing Alibran, I just have terrifically crappy circulation (ie: my hands are often purple, I need to be really hot to have normal coloured hands), perhaps you have something less extreme??

Yeah neiljohn is it coldness brought on by post-exercise munchies as yeehaamcgee describes?
    dan6116
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    dan6116 wrote:
    I get what you're describing Alibran, I just have terrifically crappy circulation (ie: my hands are often purple, I need to be really hot to have normal coloured hands), perhaps you have something less extreme??

My dad has poor circulation, so it wouldn't surprise me. I do have to make an effort to keep my hands and feet warm. But I also get a more general coldness after I've done strenuous exercise, and I wonder if that's similar to what neiljohn is describing.