Lost in the fog?? Help please.

TheBoyBilly
TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
I've just bought the latest copy of Mountain Biking and was reading the article "Max Your Ride". The thing is I am looking to add to my bike stable as I'd like to do a little off-roading. This article however divides the MTB bikes into different categories. Some. like DH are self explanatory....or are they?
What are the differences, in your opinion, in the type of MTB needed for:

DH
Cross-country
All-Mountain
Freeride
Jumping

For myself, I am just interested in gentle rides across the South Downs or a 20-mile fitness ride up the local dis-used railway line (which is gravelled in many parts). I don't really want to over-spend and am looking at the cheapest Scott (Aspect at £240) or GT (Palomar at £200) I could stretch to £300 but MTB-ing for me would be just a welcome change of scenery and a chance to get away from the traffic grind on my roadie.
Any thoughts most welcome.

Bill
To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde

Comments

• jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    sounds like you just need a hardtail for xc riding etc, anything more would prob be wasted. if you read the article in question it will explain the differences etc :wink:
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • TheBoyBilly
    Thanks Mr Meadows, I think I have made my mind up what bike to go for really. MTBs have come on in leaps and bounds since I paid £350 for a Ridgeback in 1986. I suspect even the cheapest bike from a reputable maker will out-perform that bike with ease now. But I was just interested as to the main difference from say, Cross-country and All-Mountain or are the edges blurred, IYKWIM?
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    But I was just interested as to the main difference from say, Cross-country and All-Mountain or are the edges blurred, IYKWIM?

Nobody really knows. It's just jargon made up by bike companies and magazines which is designed to make you think that your gear is not up to it and so you have to buy some more. Generally speaking gear labled 'AM' is a bit tougher that gear labled 'XC'. HTH.
  • TheBoyBilly
    Thank you xcracer, it just goes to show that you are never too old to fall for a sales pitch :oops:
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    ha well i believe there is some truth in the labels but i rarely go by the manufacturer's word, i look at the componentry, travel, general build etc

for me:
    xc - up to 120mm travel, light weight, would faint if it saw a DH track in any format

Aggressive XC / All Mountain - up to 160mm, happy to climb any hill given a bit more time and enjoys a bit of light DH action

Freeride - jumping off >3ft drops and can handle a DH course. heavily built

DH - would cry at the sight of a XC climb, triple clamp forks with more than 160mm travel front and rear

Jumping - rear brake only, singlespeed, possibly entirely rigid or tough front suspension designed just for getting airborne over jumps

for what you want you've got the right idea with those mentioned bikes :)