Caliper Brakes Too Tight

James Garner
James Garner Posts: 8
My boy is 4 and has been riding without stabalisers for the last 3-4 months. I take him out quite regular as I also ride MTB. His brake calipers are very tight and he finds it difficult to pull the brakes to slow him down.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to fix this problem as he uses his feet to stop at the moment.

He is quite fearless so has no problem launching himself down hills. My worry is that he is continuing to improve all the time but I don't want him to continue to use his feet mainly because it's a bad habit and I don't want him to hurt himsef if he goes too fast and can't stop. I know boys will be boys. (it also wrecks his shoes ha ha!)

Can anyone help me!?! :?:

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    On the central shaft of a calliper brake there are two nuts either side of the mechanism, undo them slightly. Had the same when I was a kid.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Yeah - U need to be able to actually pull the lever, to get any leverage. So... it should only start to come on at around the half-way point, if you follow.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • yuri_d
    yuri_d Posts: 7
    I disconnected the spring on the caliper - it kind of touched the rims but did not really bind the wheel. Like in a car. We rode it for 2 years with the same set pf pads. You can always reconnect it
    the calliper was with both levers on the same pin above the wheel and a spring held them apart.