new wheels

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
im thinking of upgrading my trek pilot 1.0 and buying some new silver wheels instead of the black ones, guess i should be looking for clincher wheels,

Comments

• andy610
    i like the look of the shimano 105 and the fulcrum racing 5 evolution wheels
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    If they're within your budget I don't think you could go wrong with a set of Fulcrum Evo 5's. They come as standard on the two grand Wilier I've just ordered (though I've gone for Fulcrum 3's).

You might also like to consider a set of Mavic Aksiums. The 2008 versions have shed some weight. I have some of the older Aksiums and they've been pretty much bombproof to date. When I get my DT1850s converted to Campag to run on my new bike I'll be after another set of wheels for my winter bike. The 2008 Aksiums and Evo 5's will definitely be on my shortlist.

No personal experience of Shimano wheels.
  • andy610
    will all these wheels fit my rear 8 speed cassette on and fit the trek pilot with no problems
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    I had the 105 wheels (R561's) on my pilot 1.2 - they were a worthwhile upgrade - used all last summer

looked like this:
    P1000295.jpg

that said - i agree with the other poster - Fulcrum5's are a great option if your budget will extend to that.

mine are sat in the garage at the moment as the trek is now a winter bike and has returned to its bontrager select aeros. i keep meaning to put them on ebay but the hassle of posting a set of wheels puts me off.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Or maybe the slightly older 105 WH-R 550's - they're just below the 561's from what I remember - good solid wheels though, at a good budget price.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    andy610 wrote:
    will all these wheels fit my rear 8 speed cassette on and fit the trek pilot with no problems
    According to Wiggle's website the SRAM/Shimano option for the Evo 5's freehub will support 8, 9 and 10 speed (may not take 10 speed Dura-Ace).