newby with a new bike needs pedal advice please!!!

mark145max
mark145max Posts: 28
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
hi to all,
just starting out on my bike carrier and need a little help.
I've been a runner and was meant to be running the london marathon but due to a very dodgy knee injury have had to give it all up.(Gutted , I only hope cycling can fill the huge gap that is left!)
Anyway a road bike is on order due in on FRiday. I've bought a Trek 1.7 compact but it only comes with basic pedals. Can anyone advise me what to go for as the best alternative. I've heard of clipless don't know what these are.
Many thanks to any advice. :)

Comments

• Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    As a start try here for the basics of the various systems
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=156
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    mark145max wrote:
    hi to all,
    just starting out on my bike carrier and need a little help.
    I've been a runner and was meant to be running the london marathon but due to a very dodgy knee injury have had to give it all up.(Gutted , I only hope cycling can fill the huge gap that is left!)
    Anyway a road bike is on order due in on FRiday. I've bought a Trek 1.7 compact but it only comes with basic pedals. Can anyone advise me what to go for as the best alternative. I've heard of clipless don't know what these are.
    Many thanks to any advice. :)

Sorry to hear about missing out on London. I should be running next week too, but I tore my ankle ligaments shortly after entering, then got my acceptance while still crocked(typical after trying to get in for the last 3 years!)! Not been able to get running further than a few miles so decided to defer to next year.

I've had quite a few injury probs, so got into riding last year, and to be honest I think I'm enjoying it more than running. This summer, triathlons and long rides for me :lol:

I always find the term clipless quite confusing, as I tend to think of being clipped to my pedals when I wear them!! A lot of people tend to recommend SPD pedals and shoes for beginners as they are reasonably easy to get out of. If you decide to go "clipless", we'll look forward to the story of your first fall, it happens to all of us!
  • thanks zendog, I'll use that link sounds like it will point me in the right direction.

Thanks to you hammerite, you certainly know how I feel then, I hope I do take to cycling like you did and it gives me the sense of "escape "running did.
    Thanks for your kind response I'm now going to investigate for myself.
    Cheers
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    You will find your new bike feels a bit strange to ride at first, light steering / unstable / wobbly / poor brakes. This is not a criticism of your bike but all road bikes for a new rider.
    Therefore i suggest you keep the flat pedals and ride in trainers until you get comfortable with the bike.
    Then start looking at shoes / pedals. SPDs which were originally for mountain bikes but because of the way the cleat fixes in the recessed sole you can actually walk in them. Or road shoes and pedals which are great for riding but not so good to walk in as the cleat stands proud of the sole.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!