s1mon Posts: 618
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

Can't decide between theses four,

Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carb - Veloce, 2008
Bianchi 1885 Hydro Carbon - Ultegra, 2008
Cannondale Synapse 105 Triple 2008
Giant SCR C4 2008

Had a bike fitting at a shop and test rode the two top bikes in my list. Test rode the Cannondale at another shop and the same with the giant.

The first two have been set up to my bike fitting measurments and ride really nice, the other two have not been set up properly but I do like the Cannondale ride but I don't want a tripple, the Giant is ok but didn't really wow me much but has Shimano groupset and a compact which I want.

The 1885 is over my budget a bit but has Shimano, compact etc. can't really fault it apart from it being a bit more racy than the Via. It don't have a compact but I can have it swapped.

The Via Nirone in the colour I like is Veloce which I really don't like and to change to Shimano would cost alot, it's not the groupset I don't like but the feeling of the lever/shifters when riding on the hoods ?

any suggestions ?

Simon.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    s1mon wrote:
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carb - Veloce, 2008

Get that one. Why? Because it's got Campagnolo
    s1mon wrote:
    The Via Nirone in the colour I like is Veloce which I really don't like and to change to Shimano would cost alot, it's not the groupset I don't like but the feeling of the lever/shifters when riding on the hoods ?

You don't like to be comfortable?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • s1mon
    Sorry I worded it wrong, I don't like the feeling of the Veloce hoods compared to Shimano's.

Simon.
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    i'd also consider the Cannondale Caad9 Tiagra Compact 2008 Road Bike, i believe it's the same price, is it worth a look ?
  • redddraggon
    s1mon wrote:
    Sorry I worded it wrong, I don't like the feeling of the Veloce hoods compared to Shimano's.

Simon.

I never noticed anything wrong with the wording....I only noticed Blasphemy.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • s1mon
    i'd also consider the Cannondale Caad9 Tiagra Compact 2008 Road Bike
    I can't considor anymore it's taken me ages just to get down to these four :lol:
    I never noticed anything wrong with the wording....I only noticed Blasphemy.
    You've lost me :oops: you don't like Shimano ? i'm just used to it.

Simon.
  • redddraggon
    s1mon wrote:
    You've lost me :oops: you don't like Shimano ? i'm just used to it.

Simon.

It's not that I don't like Shimano, it's just that I don't like the shifters - awful shape and wires sticking out of them. They are down right ugly...

I'm used to Shimano, I currently ride a Shimano bike to work, but I wouldn't buy another Shimano bike. Campag hoods are far more comfortable (although I'm still comfortable with Shimano shifters) once you start using them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    redddraggon, that's down to the individual. I'm like you, I find Campag more comfortable, other people find Shimano more comfortable, as the OP obviously does. Different people have different preferences, that's why choice exists.
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    I have a 2007 Synapse Carbon and it is fantastic to ride, set up for long comfortable rides. This has the dependable 105 Shimano groupset which works as it should.

I also have an SCR 3 which is also very comfortable on long rides (mine does have 'several' mods).

Out of the two the Cannondale is a class apart, but then it was priced accordingly.

Just get the one which you are going to ride, which makes you want to get out on it and which is practical for you.
  • s1mon
    Just get the one which you are going to ride, which makes you want to get out on it and which is practical for you.
    I would if I could decide on which one :lol:

What about the 1885 ? no one's commented on this ?

When I had my bike fitting a 50 + 53 Bianchi would fit but the 53 is a better fit. I test rode a 50cm Via set up to my measurments and it didn't feel right, got on the 53 and it was so much better. They had a 1885 in a 53 there not excatly set up to my measurments but pretty close which rode nice but not as comfy as the 53 Via so is the 1885 worth the extra £££ if it was set up the same as the Via ?

Simon.
  • s1mon
    The gentleman in the shop said that if I want Shimano on the Via Nirone Alu/Carbon then it comes in red but they didn't have one in stock to see. I didn't think I would like the green Bianchi's until I saw them :roll:

So I found this,

9515264017.jpg

I take it the Uk version would be the same ?

Simon.
  • Ruari
    Ruari Posts: 217
    Not always the same colour available in UK. I own a 1885 Ultegra, also tried the Nirone, but decided to go with the 1885. It is more racy than the Virone, a fact which I now like A LOT! Go with your heart, let your plastic take the shock if needs be.
    FCN 1