Fork dive while front braking.

aba2005
aba2005 Posts: 487
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
I've got a Tora 302 adjustable fork. I just want to know how much dive you should get when front braking or whether you shouldn't get any at all which would probably mean my forks need a service.

Thanks for your help.
"You can plan for the life you're supposed to have, but when you try to make plans, God is known to laugh"
Talib Kweli - Broken Glass [The Beautiful Struggle]

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Forks dive due to weight shifts. This can be compenasted for by low speed compression damping, but its fixed on this fork. So there is nothing you can do apart from alter your weight or change the oil to something thicker.
  • aba2005
    Ok, thanks. If I wanted to change the oil could my LBS do it or would I need to send it off somewhere like chainreactioncycles?

Can't get much lighter, i'm 6'2 72 kgs!!! So changing my weight isn't an option, lol.
    "You can plan for the life you're supposed to have, but when you try to make plans, God is known to laugh"
  • supersonic
    Given your weight, the oil sounds right. I'd just ride it! Forks are reactive to weight shifts.
  • aba2005
    Ok, Thanks. I'm guessing the oil will need replacing every occasionally. How often should this be done?
  • supersonic
    Every full service, usually once a year. these are quite easy to strip, and full service guides available from SRAM.
  • norco forever
    norco forever Posts: 1,177
    what size front brake you running as that can have a huge difference unless your running V's.
    If you aint in A&E, you aint riding hard enough

http://identiti4lfe.pinkbike.com/album/Scott-Ransom
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what size front brake you running as that can have a huge difference unless your running V's.

it makes no difference.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • norco forever
    i found fairly large difference between my 203mm disc and 160mm disc though would this be due to less modulation and more outright power?

• supersonic
    The size deosnt really make a difference, its the decceleration that does it. If you can lock the wheel with Vs or a disc, the decceleration is the same, and the fork will dive similarly.

Adding more compression damping lessens it, as does a stiffer spring: or a fork like the USE SUB, which uses a reactive link to use disc forces to counter the dive.
  • norco forever
    my bad :roll:

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dive is purely caused buy the transfer of weight to the fork. the braking force, disc size has nothing to do with it. But as sonic said you can use a link to transfer the reaction force fron the brake into the sus. system to help react against the compresion force applied by the weight transfer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • aba2005
    Thanks for your help Supersonic