First road bike quandry

Scotsnapper
Scotsnapper Posts: 13
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, my first post on here so be gentle with me :? I have seen a Focus Variado for sale for £300, its about 2 years old apparently. The guy has offerd me a test ride on it tomorrow, using my own shoes and pedals. I need it for my twice weekly commute i to work which i started doing last year on my knackered old Coventry Eagle tourer. The better weather is starting again so i would like to do it on something a bit more modern. The route is mainly tarmac roads but with a short section on a Sustrans track which is gravelly and muddy. I was wondering if the rather thin looking wheels would be man enough for it, or could i change them for something more substantial. I have read that Schwalbe marathons are supposed to be good and are very puncture resistant, would these fit this bike?
Also, i see that Ribble are now selling their Audax/Winter bike for £399, would this bike be more suitable for me?
Sorry about all the questions but you guys seem to have all the answers :D

Comments

• John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Check out the wear parts on the Focus. Does it need chain cassette etc. check the wheel rims for wear. If all seams OK then go for it. The Ribble bikes are OK, BUT although you can fit mudguards clearance is minimal. This could be a problm to you if you ride tow paths and decide to fit larger tyres.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Thanks John, would this clearance issue be a problem for the Focus as well then?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Looks as if the Variado won't take more than x25s (if that). Smaller than that not too comfy on gravel - when muddy probably best walked!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Thanks. What size wheels do you recommend for mixed terrain like that then?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    This can only be an entirely personal opinion, but I reckonx28s (with no scientific basis whatsoever!).
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."