Routes out of Bourg d'oisans

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
edited October 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm off out in July. I've been out before so know some of the routes possible but we were based further North last time so only made the trip down to do Huez and the Vercors. I've also scanned the routes section and Russells pages on cycling around Grenoble (here... http://www.grenoblecycling.com/index.htm if you didn't know about them). But I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on some other routes. Preferably not mammoth routes but I'd be interested to hear about anything you think is unmissable. The maps on the route section don't tell you anything really so it would be good to have some recommendations and descriptions before getting underway, with maybe an indication of how many miles it would be.
Ta!

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    The ride up to La Berade is well worth it, a stiffish climb, virtually no traffic and stunning scenery.
  • heavymental
    Cheers Andy, looks like a nice couple of hours? Just having a look at the map. Is it just the church at the end of the road or is there a cafe or something at the end too?
  • murcof
    murcof Posts: 30
    Doesn't the Marmotte route start from there? I think it goes from Bourg D'oisons - Col D'Lauteret - Galibier, then some combination of Coix de la Fer - Telegraphe - Apl D'Huez.

It's possibe that this isn't the Marmotte route at all, but this is a route becuase my dad explained it to me and has done it a couple of times. I do't think I've spelt those names right, but if you lok at a map you should get the gist.
  • andyp
    La Berade is a small village and when I was there (in 2000) I think there were at least 3 cafes/restaurants. It's a very tranquil place with high mountains on 3 sides.

The Marmotte route is traditionally over the Croix de Fer, then the Telegraphe, the Galibier and finally Alpe d'Huez. It starts in Bourg d'Oisans. It's a tough day even if you skip the Alpe. Personally I'd avoid the Lauteret from Bourg as it is a main road and the traffic is bad.
  • heavymental
    Hmm. The marmotte is that big clockwise loop from bourg to the Glandon... Croix.. Telegraph.. Galibier... Lautaret and back to Huez and Bourg then? That must be a hell of a day. Whats the road like from the Lautaret to Bourg then? Its a D route according to Google maps but its busy is it?
  • andyp
    The road between Bourg d'Oisans and the Lautaret is the main road from Grenoble to Briancon. It's always pretty busy. It doesn't seem to bad when you're descending from the Lautaret as a bike can travel as fast as a car on most sections. It's always a bit hairy in the tunnels just before and just after the barrage at Le Freney-d'Oisans. It seems worse when you're climbing as it takes so much longer to get through them plus you have cars and trucks grinding past for most of the way up.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    have you seen this site?

http://www.bikes-oisans.com/
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    If you do the Alpe carry on up to the next col (Sarenne?) and then to reservoir on Bourg /Lauteret road & whiz all the way home- stunning!
  • heavymental
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie= ... 32086&z=12

Do you mean turn right at the top of Alpe and go up to Le Perron and come back down and hit the main road at Mizoen? No Sarenne that I can see...just Sardonne over to the North West on the above map.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Head back down the main road towards Grenoble, and come off (not literally) at Sechilienne. Go up over the Col de la Morte, down to Sievoz, along via Valbonnais and back over the Col d'Ornon. Gives you about 60 miles with just over 2000 m of climbing (I think). About as easy a 60 mile loop as you get in that area, it's still quite hard. The Morte is a nice climb on a smooth quiet road, and not too challenging, though it is a long climb. The descent off the Ornon is fantastic.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    Heading up the Ornon from Bourg d'Oisans, I've always wanted to take the right turn off to Oulles. According to Russell, it is spectacular and a must-do. It's on the list for this year!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • heavymental
    Nice one. Thats just up the road so might fit that in as a short out and back of an evening or on a short day.
  • andyp
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=45.074006,6.085396&spn=0.113468,0.232086&z=12

Do you mean turn right at the top of Alpe and go up to Le Perron and come back down and hit the main road at Mizoen? No Sarenne that I can see...just Sardonne over to the North West on the above map.
    That's the one. There is a pass up there, the Col de Sarenne, which is around 2000 metres above sea level. It's not too tricky after Alpe d'Huez. Basically you follow the signs for the airstrip and that road continues onto the Sarenne then drops down to La Perron. The road from Alpe d'Huez is okay although there are quite a few open drains presumably to allow melt water to run off that require some care in navigating. The drop down the other side isn't for the faint hearted; it's steep, twisty and bumpy. My abiding memory of it is having aching hands from braking (and I'm not a cautious descender).
  • heavymental
    Hammerite - That route book looks quite nice on that site you pointed out. Have you got it? I presume they sell it in Bourg, so might pick up a copy when I'm there if its worth it.
  • heavymental
    Andy...I might try that then. I've done Alpe du Huez before but came back down the same way so will try and do that route this time.

Just having a look through the forums on Russels pages and there's actually loads of route suggestions there. The thread 'Favourite cols' has a couple in there.
  • heavymental
    Is the N91, Briancon to Grenoble road ok to ride on then? Is it just a case of gritting your teeth, putting up with the traffic and planning routes that get off it asap?
  • andyp
    Is the N91, Briancon to Grenoble road ok to ride on then? Is it just a case of gritting your teeth, putting up with the traffic and planning routes that get off it asap?
    My experiences lead me to conclude that it's okay where it's relatively flat and when you're descending but if you're climbing then it gets a bit intimidating due to the traffic levels. Your mileage may vary.
  • harveyjwj
    harveyjwj Posts: 13
    bit off topic, but anyone know what the weather is like in mid june in this area? warm/hot enough for non cycling family to be sat around in the valley in the sun?

thanks
    H
  • AndyP has the good route - Col de La Sarrenne is terrific, little traffic and brilliant riding. Also at the top is a wee cafe before the super scary descent to Le Perron, Clavans Le Haut to Mizeon. You can then follow the main road back to Bourg or head up again turning R at Le Freney d'Oisan, Le Chatain, La Balme, le Armentier and La Garde for a cracking half descent of Alpe d'Huez. Takes approx 3 plus hours of har riding or 3.5 of stunning kilometres. Enjoy!
  • ut_och_cykla
    andyp wrote:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=45.074006,6.085396&spn=0.113468,0.232086&z=12

That's the one. There is a pass up there, the Col de Sarenne, which is around 2000 metres above sea level. It's not too tricky after Alpe d'Huez. Basically you follow the signs for the airstrip and that road continues onto the Sarenne then drops down to La Perron. The road from Alpe d'Huez is okay although there are quite a few open drains presumably to allow melt water to run off that require some care in navigating. The drop down the other side isn't for the faint hearted; it's steep, twisty and bumpy. My abiding memory of it is having aching hands from braking (and I'm not a cautious descender).

Yeah! That's the one - aching hands after descent? You're not kidding!! But great ride after doing Alpe - pretty views etc adnwhizzing past cars on teh main road into Bourg - :lol:
  • heavymental
    I think we'll give that route a try over the top then....although I think the descent off the top of Huez in the quiet of the early evening was maybe the best experience I've ever had on a bike so shame to miss it out in favour of a bumpy/tricky number.... Hmm, maybe just make time for both rides I spose! Or compromise and take the road back onto the descent as Zonc suggests.

Harvey, if you register on the Forum on the Grenoble Cycling Pages there's a thread about temperature and rainfall in the area. Hang on...I'll look now and tell you...avg daily temp is about 30. Thats the rough average from readings 2003/04/05. Average of about 45mm of rain for the month. Lovely!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    andyp wrote:
    My experiences lead me to conclude that it's okay where it's relatively flat and when you're descending but if you're climbing then it gets a bit intimidating due to the traffic levels. Your mileage may vary.

It is great fun doing the n91 towards Grenoble; certainly the longest downhill I have ever done (from the Lautaret, at least). I did it on a Friday morning in September and pretty much had it to myself. In any case it is wide enough for traffic to pass safely (and they tend to do that naturally in France). At one point I was coasting at speed with one hand on the bars and the camera on video mode in the other, trying to capture the scenery. A helmetcam might have been better, but I got away with it.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• ut_och_cykla
    The n91 is trafficked but its French traffic mostly - just the tunnels can be a bit scary!
    Weather in JUne was stunning 2007 but had been & was poor before & after our 4 day visit. Cool on the tops but hot in the valley - make sure Missus & kids have pool & all will be well!
  • DaveyL
    I have a couple of nice pictures of the Sarenne descent - not sure how to upload them though!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I agree - La Berarde, simply stunning! A very special memory that place was, Me and My Bro had just did Les Deux Alpes and decided to 'trumble' upto La Berarde...thought is was flat...that was until 1 1/2 hours later and 1100 meters ascending :wink: Those switchbacks at St Christophe were something!

What a gorgeous place(IMO best in whole area)...and a great Cafe at the top with manifico Spag Bol!

There is another road I would Love to have did...It starts in Allemont and joins 3/4s way up Alpe De Huez....looks a very spectacular Road carved into the side of the cliff face.

The Ornon was also lovely....no need to speak of the big monuments of the area...they speak for themselves!
  • RyanBrook
    RyanBrook Posts: 195
    You can buy a really nice book from the tourist office with a plethora of routes, its a nice book for keep sakes, I think it was about EUR15 so it wasnt cheap but is worth the money. I hope to use next time I go back using bourg as a base.
  • You really cannot miss out doing this ride from Bourgisan, sorry if spelling is wrong.

It took me 2 years to do it, but then I am not that fit, but it certainly is a tough memorable climb and well worth the effort. Make sure you are not tempted to call it a day at the Lauraet though, because you need to see the Coat hanger monument. Whatever you do good luck and enjoy.
  • heavymental
    What ride is that Ted!?
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    There is another road I would Love to have did...It starts in Allemont and joins 3/4s way up Alpe De Huez....looks a very spectacular Road carved into the side of the cliff face.

That will be the balcony road from Huez Villge to Villard Reculas - absoulutely stunning with 3000' sheer drops down into the valley then a fantastic descent down to the dam at Allemont.
    Only ever descended it as it looks like a real slog up!
    It's a great way of making the Alpe d'Huez climb into a more interesting loop ride.
  • Sorry for only just replyinhg Heavymetal but I have not been on line for some time. Thank you Craig you described it far better than I could have. Ted