Glentress 7stanes

XC-rider93
XC-rider93 Posts: 73
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
hi, im 14 and recently new to mtb i ride a saracen vortex limited edition xc, i think its the moddle below the zen.
im going to scotland,glentress in the summer and was wondering what grade would be the best for my abitlity. red or blue? i ride lots and have ok skills.

cheers 8)

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    why not try a nice short blue (check the trail map when you get there), then if you feel you want more, move up to the red!

The vortex looks a nice little bike and I would have no worries about the reds at glentress with it, especially if you are riding with other people.

Remember as well, if you want to make a ride more challenging, go faster. If its too much, play it safe and slow down.

Even the Reds at Glentress can be rolled down if you feel you have bitten off more than you can chew.

Have a blast!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • sweet, thanks for that, ive been having crank problems with my bike latley, the non-drive side keeps coming loose rather like this story

http://www.nymountainbike.com/index.php ... 121#msg121

the same thing has happend to me so im taking the bike back to partridge cycles were i bought it form and hopefully they will sort it out.

u think my bikes up to the job then?

its a bit intimidating when uve got all these £4,000 bike on the trails :shock: LOL
  • cee
    don't worry about what the other folks are riding.

concentrate on youself and all will be well
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • ok kl will do. ive herd glentress is a beast of a trail. have you ridden it?
  • cee
    ridden it loads....its kinda my local, I live about 40 minutes away.

GT is great for all year round, as the trails are consistent. There is something for everyone and a good cafe at the bottom for a good lunch, or cake/cuppa.

Theres nothing about it I'd say was a beast as such but as always, if you are not sure, look before you leap, even if it means getting off your bike, moving it out of the way/off the trail and walking down a bit to have a look and then go get the bike and go for it.

As I said,, there is enough for everyone, no matter your skill/experience. Go easy to start and just have fun.

H.G. Wells.
  • thanks
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    There are plenty of people do the red with a lot less experience than you, seems to be people that hire bikes and think they can do all the trails and they don't seem to get in too much trouble.

There are good bits on the blue but from the level you describe I'd say red all day long.

I rode red first time down there and haven't looked back since.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    You'll be fine, the folk up riding Glentress are usually friendly! Blue is a nice easy open trail, red if you wan't a bit more of a challenge i'd say.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    i had never properly went biking and went the red route first go, take it slow and dont get caught up in 'needing' to go quickly. you will crash. its a good route even if you're going like a granny with sleeping pills down her throat.

second time out i thought F it and broke my collarbone :P
  • Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    Ive been up twice and done the red both times, (just getting back into biking) took it steady the first time and let people past if i was holding them up.

The hot chocolate in the hub cafe is great aswell :lol:
  • noonez
    noonez Posts: 5
    Glentress Rocks !

The trails are absaloutly brill and so is the cafe / Bike shop!

I've been there twice and im going again in 3 days !

Laterrr
  • oily67
    oily67 Posts: 24
    I went there on Monday with my son ( 10 )we hired a bike there for him and I took along the Rockhopper.
    He loved the freeride park ..... took it easy at first though ...... and in the end we spent more time there than we intended. It meant we only had time to do about half of the red run. We did pennels vennel, the spooky wood climb and descent, then the super g before short cutting onto the blue return route. He then managed to convince me to spend an hour or so at the freeride park again and I have to admit I managed most of the obstacles including the last huge tabletop . I had a few heart in the mouth moments, but hey, I loved it.
    At age 41 you'd think I should know better, but we can't wait to go back :D

Then to top off a great couple of days he also managed to convince me to have a go in the new indoor bmx/skate park at Leith's Ocean Terminal, Transgression Park. We hired a couple of bmx's for an hour or so ......... brilliant fun :D
    The missus just gave me one of her funny looks when we arrived back for lunch drenched in sweat :roll:
    2008 Rockhopper

2009 FSR XC Comp
  • Take a peep at the freeride park as well, it looks well worth seeing with most of the things having chicken lines, or smaller drops than the others. I really want to go to glentress, but being only 14 in a none riding family im a bit stuck. oh well lol.
    Eat, ride, sleep. Repeat