clipless

dboden
dboden Posts: 349
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, I am a beginner to road bikes.
Just wondered, do mtb spd pedals fit road bikes?
It is just to get me going.
I can,t believe you spend all this money on a bike, and don,t get pedals!!!

Comments

• dboden wrote:
    Hi, I am a beginner to road bikes.
    Just wondered, do mtb spd pedals fit road bikes?
    It is just to get me going.
    I can,t believe you spend all this money on a bike, and don,t get pedals!!!

Welcome to the dark side!

Yes, they do fit, and work fine.

You don't get pedals because there are several different systems (Look Keo, old Look & clones thereof, Shimano, Time, Speedplay etc etc) and most riders already have one they prefer.
    John Stevenson
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    Having been a mountain biker for 19 years or so I opted for MTB SPDs on my road bike. Makes walking around easier and saves on buying different shoes.

Red Rock
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Pedals are one of the precious few components on a bike that are [pretty much] universal. :)

I'd reccommend Time atac for MTB (also good if you want to be able to walk off the bike) or speedplay X-series for mostly road use
  • cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    You may also wish to know that you can buy a pedal spanner which will allow you to put on and take off all the different makes of pedals. Some SPD pedals can be affixed from the other side of the crank using an allen key, but not all.
    malc101 Posts: 115
    Ah excellent, this was going to be my first proper post...

After years of mountain biking on flats and doing stupid things I made the move to SPDs and cross country and loved it. I have just ordered my first road bike and have opted for the mtb spd as i am used to it and i already have a nicely worn in shoe.

Its good to see there are so many others doing the same and not paying twice for the same system :D
    MTB - 2013 Giant Trance X 29er 1
    Road - 2005 Lemond Maillot Jaune with 2013 105 and 2014 Fulcrum 5's
    Winter Hack - 2005 Marin Rocky Ridge with 1x9 and Rigid Conversion (On Going)