lightweight touring - shoes, cleats!

r0msey
r0msey Posts: 31
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm just getting into touring, and trying to pack less to keep the weight down. One thing I'm finding a pain is always having to pack an extra pair of shoes.

At present I'm using some MTB shoes with reasonably resessed cleats, but I still sound like a tap dancer walking down the street.

Has anyone found a sensible solution to this - I'm thinking if I could design some kind of rubber cleat cover for my cycling shoes that would be one option - does such a thing exist? Are there such things as touring shoes with fully resessed cleats? I've thought about using a bit of old inner tube wrapped round the toes with elastic bands, but thats a) not very attractive b) not likely to stay on...

Or the other option - ditch cycling shoes with cleats for touring and forget clipping in. Your views?

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Maybe it's the particular type of shoe you're using?I never have any problem with MTB shoes (currently using Pearl Izumi with Shimano SPD cleats, before that I had Specialized MTB Comps).
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Maybe it's the particular type of shoe you're using?I never have any problem with MTB shoes (currently using Pearl Izumi with Shimano SPD cleats, before that I had Specialized MTB Comps).
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    My specialized touring shoes (spd) are the most comfortable pair of footwear I own and they only ever click on cobbles. They've got a good sole on them for walking on rough ground, too.

I tour with them as my only pair of shoes, though a pair of flipflops weigh nothing and pack flat if you want a change off the bike.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    It does depend on the shoe. I only have experience of Specialized Sonoma shoes (commuter type) and Shimano sandals. The sandals are certainly a lot easier to walk in than the shoes, albeit still not as good as a decent pair of walking sandals. I too would be interested something that was good at both (although in summer I will always tour in sandals, honestly the things are great.) Would not give up SPD, I'd carry the extra.
  • COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    Hi,
    Try THESE the cleat is kept in a neat hole and does not click on the ground when walking.

COVEC
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    I have a pair of these for touring, look fine off the bike, no problem with SPD cleats either

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ro%20Shoes
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    HAve used shimano basic model (laces no velcro) for long tour - no SPDs just cages & straps. were my only shoes for 7 weeks inc. whole days doing touristy things. Worked fine. For shorter tours I use Shimano touring shoe & SPD & road pedal for MTB - no click and reassuring rubber sole.
    HAve also tried Sidi MTB shoes - which don't click either but aren't nice for walking in at all.
  • culverwood
    culverwood Posts: 256
    I still wear straps for long tours as the shoe is going to be worn all the time, almost. For shorter tours Specialized Sonoma SPDs seem to be OK with only a little clicking.