Ache in hands

100%
100% Posts: 236
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

I've recently got a bike for mainly riding on the road (I would say road bike, but it's really a cyclocross frame). I've been out getting used to it a little tonight, and I've found that my hands are aching a bit. I can feel it in the base of my thumbs, especially when my hands are on the combined break leaver/gear shifter mounts.

I've never really ridden a bike with drop handlebars etc. before, I usually ride a mountain bike, so I'm wondering if this is related to the positiom I'm taking on the bike, something I will get used to as I'm in a different position than I'm used to on the mountain bike and with a ridgid front fork, or if it could be due to reaching too far to rest my hands in this position.

I feel like I'm putting quite a bit of weight on my hands in this position, and I have also just raised the saddle, which is putting in back a little due to the seat tube angle. This is making me think that the stem is too long for me (I've measured it and I think it is 120mm - it's an Oval R300 I believe and there is a 120mm version) - the saddle doesn't feel too far back in relation to the pedals, so I don't think I need to move it forward on the rails.

I'm wearing Specialized Body Geometry 'Gel' gloves, so they have quite a bit of padding for the palms and heel of your hands.

Any advice greatfully received!

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, yes your hands will ache a bit until you get used to it.
    Maybe you are putting too much weight on them try this as a rough guide :
    On my bike if i ride with my hands on the bars just behind the hoods i can see the front wheel hub just behind the bars near the stem. With my hands on the drops the hub is visible just in front of the bars near the stem. It might indicate if you need a shorter stem.
    Only a rough guide of course as mine is a fairly upright riding position.
    Hope this helps.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    Do you wear padded mitts?
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Perhaps you are gripping a bit too tight as well :?:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I think I am probably putting too much weight on my hands, but I don't think I'm actually squeezing the grips too tightly (although braking is a bit less responsive than the hydraulic discs on my MTB). I feel that I have a tendency to put quite a bit of weight on the bars on my mountain bike also, so maybe I can adjust a little.

With regards to the riding position, I'm happy with a more upright position as it's what I'm used to anyway. I may try turning the stem over to angle it up a little which will obviously raise the position and act to reduce the reach to the bars slightly. I have just tried what topdude suggested, and have got similar results, although I wasn't actually riding when I did it.

As for padded gloves, the Specialized ones I mentioned in my first post are fairly well padded. More so than anything I've ever used before! :D

Cheers,
    Steve