giant boulder [newbie]

littlepaws
littlepaws Posts: 31
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
I have a specialized hardrock mountain bike witch is extremely old (about 6 years). Although an excellant bike I decided to treat myself to a new bike called a giant boulder trail bike which look like this:

I have this version
prod_38400.jpg
Giant Boulder Trail

However after my purchase I noticed there was another version with the same name?
prod_38371.jpg
Giant Boulder Standard

They look completly different but just wondered if they were the same spec. I am not very clued up on the terminolgy of the specifications on these bikes, therefore wondered if anyone new more about these bikes?

I tried the Giant website but they do not seems to be listed.

However for an entry level mountain bike i am very impressed, I payed alot more money for my specialized years ago. And its seems for what you get with the Giant Boulder Trail is extremely good value for money, I supposed you get more for your money these days.

Any further information on these bike would be gratfullly received,
Thank you in advance for anyone feedback.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    See here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12564440

Both good value, good performing bikes, just a little different.
  • So one of the differences is that the trail version has a stronger frame. :D
  • supersonic
    Seems so! A little stifer maybe, more room to move about - but also shorter for a more upright riding position. Try them out if you can.
  • Ive always beed a specialzed fan when it come to mountain bikes, and the guy in the shop said Giant have built frames for specialized either last year or the year before. Which is why I chosed the Giant. I brought the Giant Boulder Trail version not knowing about the other standard version. Still im pleased with with what I have out of the 2 I probably would have chosen the trail version anyway.
  • supersonic
    For the money there arent many to touch it. Yes, I do believe Giant do make the cheaper Specialized frames, but not the premium stuff. Giant make a lot of frames, most in the world.
  • I also been offered a free service in 8 weeks time to adjust the cables for the brakes and gears, because apparently because they are new they can stretch. Is this the norm or does it depend on how much you use the bike?
  • supersonic
    Perfectly normal - usually happens after the first ride! nd them sometimes after that. Bikes need quite frequent adjusting and checking, lots of bolts and moving parts. The shop will sort much of it out 1st time round, so after that good to learn a few basics. Can get some great books, like Zinn for about a tenner.
  • One more thing before I catch some zzzzz,

Someone mentioned you could get a wireless computer which can tell you of your :

Current/average & maximum speed
    Trip distance
    Riding time

etc, are these any good or just gimmicks >?
  • Hi Littlepaws, there are a selection of computers on the Halfords (yeah, I know, Halfords) website, some wired and some wireless, including the Garmin GPS computers, see here:

Bike Computers

Of those, I have the Halfords 12 function bike computer, it does it's job, tells me my current speed, average speed, maximum speed, distance travelled, total number of hours spent on the bike etc.
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • I prefer the trail. If you put the seat down you've got tonnes of room to move around.
    Me like trials biking me do
  • planetse
    planetse Posts: 3
    edited April 2008
    Hi. I was looking for a Hard Tail so as to pull my daughter along in her buggy (would not use my full suspension bike for this task) and the Giant Boulder Trail fitted the bill just right. Good specked bike for the money, with the build quality expected from Giant; “First Class”.
    The only things I had to change as soon as I got it were the dreadful steel bars that came on it, far too long and very heavy, this I replaced with a nice ABR Carbon jobby. Also up rated the front 165mm disc to a 203mm, this folks might say is a little over kill but travelling down long hills with a trailer on the back did over heat the standard rotor just a little. It now stops so much better.
    Great choice for the money, better than the standard Boulder by a long way.

Not a great pic.
    DSC00433.jpg[/img]
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Are you still inside the fork warranty?
  • planetse
    planetse Posts: 3
    Stick the old rotor back on (two min job) and they would be none the wiser. :wink:
  • Been testing my fitness over the pass day or so, just arounf towns and country lanes and so far the bike's been working really well.

planetse - These accessories can get expensive !! glad your enjoying the trail bike !

Old Git On A Bike - Thanks the the bike computer link I will check it out !

supersonic - I will take the bike bike after 6 weeks to get the gears and brake cables re-adjusted. You was correct when saying about needing them adjusted as the gear changes are not as smooth as when I first rode the bike.

Do you think I should get them look at now or in 6 weeks time ?
  • supersonic
    As soon as you feel is right. They are pretty easy to readjust though! Al it will take is a twist of the adjuster on the shifter or rear mech - try adjusting anti clockwise a quarter of a turn at a time.