Clubs in general and Leeds club specifically

BUICK
BUICK Posts: 362
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Riding in a club seems like it would be a good idea in terms of learning from the experience of others, a bit of camaraderie in a shared interest and perhaps the beginning of more structure and something approaching 'training' rather than just 'riding'. What have people who are in clubs got to say about the club experience? Are there any members who can personally recommend a club to me in Leeds area? Up to now I commute and also go on rides occasionally with my (one) cyclist pal, as well as riding alone once or twice a week longer distances.
'07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
'07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Theres leeds mercury, seacroft wheelers and various others. Be aware though before you try it that if you don't have the perfect bike, technique or unbelievably complex and often pointless riding etiquette, you may be looked down upon.

Maybe others feel different but thats my experience.
  • ru--
    ru-- Posts: 27
    Maybe others feel different but thats my experience.

Is that Leeds-specific experience or just in general?

Buick, I'm in Leeds and in a similar position. Been riding a lot over the last year - some rides with the uni club but mostly alone. In the first instance I should really get more involved in the uni club but I'd been thinking about joining mercury down the line: maybe two newbies joining together could make it easier! Like many though, I am put off by the supposed snobbery and unnecessary etiquette in many clubs (although I have no reason to believe Leeds clubs are like this...).

If you fancy a ride sometime let me know!
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    joined my local club in october (no where near leeds), and have not found any of the snobbery you mention.... Keen to give advice, and happy to wait at the top of hills for the slow ones like me (getting faster), its a smaller club, but a great group of chaps!

I would say your uni club would be like that (well i hope), if you find a club like that is snobbery etc imho forget them and find another!
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    i live in leeds area and approached a couple of clubs
    mentioned i wasnt experienced and lookin for steady sat/sun rides..evenings in summer

not much help,both were only offering rides at a brisk pace..50-90 miles apart from one doing a run on a tuesday daytime,and as i work not possible
  • BUICK
    Hmmm... which clubs did you approach stueyc? I have been looking at websites to get a first virtual impression of some local clubs and it does seem to vary a great deal. Ru-- I'd definitely be up for having a ride out with you. I'm still getting over a killer cold this week but given a little more recovery time I think that's a great idea.
  • Mike Willcox
    Mike Willcox Posts: 1,770
    The only reason I'm in a club is so that I can enter races. Training is best done alone to get the most out of the hours spent in the saddle and less stopping for group punctures. On the other hand if you are inexperienced and interested in the social side of cycling (I'm not) then joining a club is a must.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The only reason I'm in a club is so that I can enter races. Training is best done alone to get the most out of the hours spent in the saddle and less stopping for group punctures. On the other hand if you are inexperienced and interested in the social side of cycling (I'm not) then joining a club is a must.

The very same reason why I am not a member of any club.
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    Hi,

I live in Headingley and usually out Sat & Sun mornings, also in the evenings in the summer. I

Happy to meet up for a run sometime.

Cheers
    Fraser
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    If you are on the Harrogate side and you are a beginner there is Wheeleasy the Ripon Loiterers sister club or click on the link below for either club . some loiter some don't. rides from 15 miles to 115. Take your pick.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    unbelievably complex and often pointless riding etiquette,

Now that's putting it into words like it is. At our club races it seems like, after the race,
    you always hear complaining like "what's up with him, he didn't pull on lap #2", "man, he took my wheel on the second lap and I told him, Hey, that's my wheel, but he didn't back off and let me back on", "what did he think he was doing bumping up the tempo that early in the race" "man you can't start your sprint that far back from the line", "what's with his handlebar setup". Just to name a few. And these guys are local Thursday night club racers, not pro's.

Dennis Noward
  • BUICK
    Hahaha!? That sounds kinda ridiculous - but intriguing at the same time. Is there a bible of rules and etiquette out there somewhere or is it just made up by people as they go along and so varies between clubs and areas?

Fraser - that'd be ace. I reckon by next weekend I'll be properly over this cold so will see what you are up to? If Ru-- can come too then we'll have a mini 'bikeradar' run! :D
  • ru--
    ru-- Posts: 27
    Fraser - that'd be ace. I reckon by next weekend I'll be properly over this cold so will see what you are up to? If Ru-- can come too then we'll have a mini 'bikeradar' run! Very Happy

Count me in!
  • OldSeagul
    OldSeagul Posts: 574
    Try Leeds Cycling Action Group, no snobbery there:

http://www.leedscyclists.org.uk/social_rides.htm
    The people who turn their swords into ploughshares, generally end up working for the people who kept their swords!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    BUICK wrote:
    Hahaha!? That sounds kinda ridiculous - but intriguing at the same time. Is there a bible of rules and etiquette out there somewhere or is it just made up by people as they go along and so varies between clubs and areas?

:D

I think it's because all the racers are reading about this pro racer or that pro race and they come up with what they think pro racing is all about and what you need to do
    to be like "the pro's". Then all this somehow gets integrated into the club rides and races.
    Whether it's necessary or not doesn't really matter as long as your acting like pros.

Dennis Noward
  • BUICK
    Well it's good to take pride in your appearance :twisted: a*posers!*hem

The LCAG rides look very interesting - thanks for the link
  • 4cranks
    4cranks Posts: 5
    It has taken a fair old time to succesfully post amessage here, but I hope this is OK.

Seacroft Wheelers are indeed one of a very few Leeds clubs to actively encourage newcomers into the sport and have done so for over 30 years. Other clubs have pusued this policy for a short period or are only interested in returnees or newcomers with a proven track record. We offer a full programme of Sunday clubruns, evening time trials, training sessions and guidance and access to the national programme of time trials, road racing, track racing and cyclo cross. We have a very active membership ranging in age from 10 to pensioners and of both sexes.

We do not leave anyone alone and shattered miles from home. We understand that newcomers may not understand the etiquette of riding in a sociable group (which is about keeping us together but not causing danger or annoyance to other road users).

Newcomers are welcome any time, but specifically we have an invitation run to Bolton Percy cafe on 15 June. Why not come along? Further details at www.seacroftwheelers.co.uk
  • 4cranks
    It has taken a fair old time to succesfully post amessage here, but I hope this is OK.

Seacroft Wheelers are indeed one of a very few Leeds clubs to actively encourage newcomers into the sport and have done so for over 30 years. Other clubs have pusued this policy for a short period or are only interested in returnees or newcomers with a proven track record. We offer a full programme of Sunday clubruns, evening time trials, training sessions and guidance and access to the national programme of time trials, road racing, track racing and cyclo cross. We have a very active membership ranging in age from 10 to pensioners and of both sexes.

We do not leave anyone alone and shattered miles from home. We understand that newcomers may not understand the etiquette of riding in a sociable group (which is about keeping us together but not causing danger or annoyance to other road users).

Newcomers are welcome any time, but specifically we have an invitation run to Bolton Percy cafe on 15 June. Why not come along? Further details at www.seacroftwheelers.co.uk
  • stueyc
    4 cranks this sounds great...im in leeds and looking to get involved in a little riding company
    anything i need to know beforehand or just turn up on the day?

cheers
  • hothead
    hothead Posts: 123
    Penninne CC (Members are Leeds/Bradford Area) are an old club looking for new members. As a newbie myself (Family of cyclists) I was unsure of clubs (All that snobbery etc) but Pennine are a really welcoming bunch and looking to increase members as the club needs some new blood (Not many active members but hope that can change). I hope to ride my first TT's this year but I am trying to get rides up and running. Trying to get the website updated. What area of Leeds are you in?

Try looking at the site (Being worked on!): http://www.penninecc.com
  • stueyc
    im in south leeds,rothwell,oulton area
    ...ill check out the website...thanks
  • 4cranks
    Rothwell and oulton are very much the catchment area for Seacroft Wheelers. Most of our rides meet Cross gates area, which is simply a short grovel up Bullerthorpe Lane. Just turn up for any activities as advertised on the website. To join send an enquiry to www.seacroftwheelers.co.uk and you will be posted an application form. Full membership fee is a paltry £10.

Pennine CC catchment area is west Leeds/Pudsey/Bramley.
  • Seacroft Wheelers do have a good site and I will probably be approaching them sometime soon.

Not sure what you need to be able to do their evening TT races. I am thinking of joining BCF (Silver) for the insurance. Not sure what else you need to race (apart from a bike of course)
    ============================================

FCN is minimal as I don't see many bikes on the way to work
  • If you want a new forward thinking club with members in the Leeds area try

http://www.yorkshirevelo.org
  • If you want a new forward thinking club with members in the Leeds area try

http://www.yorkshirevelo.org

I have been looking at that site recently and it is a good site but my feeling was that it was a very small club (30 members) and I got the impression that it caters for the faster rider. No cost mentioned either.

Just my thoughts

John
    ============================================

FCN is minimal as I don't see many bikes on the way to work