Fork oil wt

god1406
god1406 Posts: 554
edited April 2008 in The Crudcatcher
The forks are 2003 'Zocchi EXR's and I've never changed the oil.

What wt should I use for a quicker rebound? CRC do wts 5 to 30, presumeably I want something low, but how low do I go?

I have no idea what's currently in there, but I removed the top caps earlier and both legs had a gloopy mud/sand/oil mess in the bits I could poke my finger into, so to speak.

Something wth the consistency of syrup appears to be lubricating my forks currently :)

Also, is £2.99 for 500ml ok for fork oil? I was under the impression it was more than that.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pretty sure is 7.5wt for that fork. Can go to 10 or 5 to alter damping charecteristics.

Make sure what you get is fully synthetic.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    standard is 7.5wt and TBH just a service and fettle will make them a bit faster.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • god1406
    when you say ''to alter damping characteristics'', 5 would make it rebound quicker, and 10 would make it slower.... right?

sorry, I'm new to fork-tampering. I removed two rubber caps earlier to disover that my forks have preload! And springs in both legs :)

I'll shop around for some synthetic oil, I did think the £2.99 stuff was a bit too cheap.
  • supersonic
    Yes, but as nick says, often a service, clean and fresh oil livens up a sticky feeling fork. There also maybe a damping adjuster down the bottom of the leg, though that might have just been on the EXR pro
  • god1406
    I'll take them apart and clean them too. 7.5wt synthetic oil it is then.

cheers for the advice :)
  • supersonic
    Look here too:

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/listS ... mit=Search

I used the link you gave the other guy, then changed the dropdowns lol
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it does depend if it is the EXR or the pro. as one has no damping......
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • god1406
    sonic: I have been on the Marzocchi site, but I can't open Adobe Reader pdf things, as I don't have the latest edition, and I can't install the latest edition of Adobe Reader because the computer can't access some key file that the program seems to require for installation, since I deleted it because AVG spyware told me to. hooray!

and it's just the EXR. no fancy stuff on 'the bitch' :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Remove Reader, run CCleaner on the reg, install the current reader. (Install Ad-Aware from Lavasoft too.)
  • god1406
    bikers46 wrote:
    Remove Reader, run CCleaner on the reg, install the current reader. (Install Ad-Aware from Lavasoft too.)

...? :(
  • Anonymous
    god1406 wrote:
    bikers46 wrote:

If you haven't used it, you don't know. The problem isn't mine.
  • god1406
    bikers46 wrote:
    god1406 wrote:
    bikers46 wrote:

I'm sorry you felt like I was demanding that you solve my every computer niggle.
  • norco forever
    norco forever Posts: 1,177
    ccleaner is a programme you can dowload for free, you should just need to google it, it will clear all the crap off your computer hope that helps.
    If you aint in A&E, you aint riding hard enough

http://identiti4lfe.pinkbike.com/album/Scott-Ransom
  • god1406
    thankyou!

well that's solved my fork and computer issues :)
  • norco forever
    norco forever Posts: 1,177
    :lol: like to be of some use
    If you aint in A&E, you aint riding hard enough

http://identiti4lfe.pinkbike.com/album/Scott-Ransom
  • Anonymous
    god1406 wrote:
    thankyou!

It was a solution for your forking reader issue. Forking duh??????

Just slap your ass wiping laptop against your fork with the new reader installed, that should work. Fucking brits.
  • Anonymous
    god1406 wrote:
    thankyou!

Your problem seemed to be that you couldn't read because "Reader" was twisted on your pc, so you couldn't access the info you sought. As far as I'm concerned, the laptop can go where it will do you the most harm. I offered a solution for your accessibility problem, not your forensic issue. Fix your shit according to your resources.
  • supersonic
    I have thee another solution! Totally uninstall Adobe, its crap.

Then install this:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Smaller, faster, and takes up much less resources.
  • Bikedevil
    Bikedevil Posts: 1,156
    Fantastic! :D Aren't MTBers such nice people
    Brought to you by:
    Trix©orp Industries

For everything & anything pointless
  • Anonymous
    god1406 wrote:
    bikers46 wrote:
    god1406 wrote:
    bikers46 wrote:

I'm sorry you felt like I was demanding that you solve my every computer niggle.

Hey man, sorry for my really crumby attitude yesterday. I did not have a delightful day by any means, and for some reason thought the BR Forum would help me get over myself. Obviously it did not. I'm really sorry for taking shots at you, really.
  • god1406
    anytime :)