Eurostar - good news

andymiller
andymiller Posts: 2,856
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... star-15431

From Monday be able to to carry unfolded and unbagged bikes on Eurostar (provided you reserve in advance and pay £20 :( ). Unfortuantely only London to Paris/Brussels - so so no use if you are changing at Lille.

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    andymiller wrote:

I was all excited until that point as I am going to Lille in May.

Do you think it is because Lille is so close to Roubaix and they are scared of the Eurostar ending up looking like a large mobile LBS?

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• mo\'c
    mo\'c Posts: 17
    Lilleany suggestions for a 3-4 day short loop out of here?
    it never gets any easier...I'm supposed to just get faster...still waiting though
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Watch out here. The bike goes as freight and will be waiting for you at the depot at the Gare du Nord. I've heard several different tales of people who've sent bikes in boxes this way, only to discover the box has been pilfered. Everything from missing bike computers to missing wheels. So don't send a flash bike this way, or if you do, take photos of the bike as you hand it over.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Kléber

If you'd taken the time to follow the link in my post you'd have seen that this is not the old-style freight service. There are 8 bike spaces in a compartment at the centre of the train. The bike travels on the same train as you, SFAIK you put it on you take it off.