Giant Boulder 08, Trail or regular?

Mithra
Mithra Posts: 64
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Hey,
I'm looking at getting a bike at around £200, and have been told that the Giant Boulder is a good one to go for. However I have noticed that JeJames are selling both the Giant Boulder http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id38371.html and the Giant Boulder Trail http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id38400.html . However I am unsure what the difference between the two is?
I will probably be mostly using it XC and in town, with some DH. Is there much of a difference if you aren't riding heavily?
Any advice on which one to choose would be great :)

Comments

• milkywhite
    milkywhite Posts: 534
    completely different frame.

100mm fork on the trail vs 75mm on the normal one

different gearing. The whole spec is probably different if you take the time to look.

For what you want to use it for, I'd say the trail will be better. More standover clearance for your crown jewels. Probably more biased towards your intended use. Get a test of the two if you can.

There are other options available though. Some at that price and if you can stretch you budget a bit, a lot more. Have a look at the what bike thread.
  • Mithra
    Yeah, I've seen that the whole thing is mostly made of different stuff, but that really means nothing to me I'm afraid to say :D

Thanks for the advice though, unfortunately £200 is my budget already prety stretched, I know I'm not gonna be getting anything particularly amazing for it :)

• planetse
    planetse Posts: 3
    For the little extra dose you get a much better bike with the trail.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id38400.html

£199 So why not take a look.
  • Mithra
    thanks for the advice :) I think thats the one I'll be going for, at least if they ever get them back in stock :D
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    I think its doubtful that'll you'll get one giant uk don't have any left and i'm not sure that there getting another drop.
  • Mithra
    lol, that would indeed be typical :? . Why would they stop producing that line of bikes completely?
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    to be honest i don't know. i know giant have already started producing next years bikes but they may still have some of this years waiting for
    import.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Giant release bikes at different times to everyone else! Sometimes more than once a year, which is good for picking up bargains - rest assured there will be another new well specced budget Giant!
  • Mithra
    Hehe, awkward bike companies :D
    I think I've narrowed it down to either the boulder, boulder trail (je james emailed me saying they should be getting some more in, unless they were confused with the normal boulder :D ), or a specialized Hardrock. Can't choose between them, so no idea what I'll choose :D (although the hardrock does look much cooler ;) )
  • supersonic
    Which hardrock? I make no bones about it, I don't like them. Not very good value, and heavy.
  • Mithra
    The Sport,
    Don't like em eh? Lots of people seem to :S.
    Also, it cant be heavier than my last bike :) A full sus Saracen Vice from about '02 or something.
  • supersonic
    This years sport is not the same as last years thank god, and is more akin to the XC of old. Probably the pick of the HRs actually - test it by all means.
  • Mithra
    I take it I should look at the '08 rather than the '07 then. :D
    Gotta find somewhere to test that though, the local shop only sells Giant bikes. :?
  • Oi i got a hardrock, but dont worry it has toras.
    I'd go with the hardrock. Thoses were my choices of bike a a year ago. Can get the 07 hardrock pretty cheap now. Although, last year a pro was 550 08 is 400?
    Hardrocks do look cool 8)
    Me like trials biking me do
  • Mithra
    The sport is the only one I'll be able to afford though :) And the '07 one is only about £20 less than the '08 one :D.
    If anyone knows of anywhere to get a hardrock sport for less than £230 I'd be happy to know ;) Still looking for either giant or specialized bikes on ebay too, oh well I'll find something eventually xD
  • Theres this http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... uctID=7915 same as mine but you'd want to upgrade the forks, so...
    But actually the forks are okay for the price, I supose...
    Me like trials biking me do
  • supersonic
    Did I mention this one?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider ... -34963795/

For 200 quid, some good kit and about 30lbs weight.
  • Mithra
    You did indeed mention that one yeah :) Unfortunately my nearest store has it set as "to order" and I seem to remember reading somewhere it was end of production run, but that could just be my imagination :D