Not had a new bike in 15 years!

alex2008
alex2008 Posts: 3
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi Everyone,

Totally new here, i've been over most of the site and it looks really good, lots of good advice too. My last bike was a Raleigh Mountain Bike Limited Edition, 15 years ago. I want to get a new bike now, one thats more rugged and modern.

I dont really see that i'll be doing any heavy off road riding, but i'd like a bike that could handle it should i decide to go off road. I have been looking at new bikes and prices, and at the moment am thinking of getting the GT 2008 Avalanche 1.0. It is £500 which is quite expensive. I'm just wondering if thats too good for what i need, or if there is a cheaper alternative.

I'm looking for a good mountain bike, with disc brakes, suspension, and one that can go off road well. Any advice would be really welcome.

Thanks,
Alex
8)

Comments

• The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    First of all welcome to the forum :wink:

So basically you are looking for a general, XC, road, general MTB?

£500 bikes these days can be pretty awesome, you can get a lot more bang for your buck these days than in the past.

The GT is a good bike, one for the list. I would also consider:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=39

and this:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/images/pr ... 001380.jpg

slightly over budget but a cracking bike...

There will be a lot more input on this thread but that's my starter!!

good luck and let us know how you get on....

8)
  • alex2008
    alex2008 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info Cheesey. I've been reading some other threads and people are saying that you need to set the bikes up when you get them? What kind of set up would the GT Avalanche 1.0 need if i bought it online? Surely its just a case of adjusting the saddle and thats it?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    You will need to put the bars on, saddle & seatpost, front wheel & pedals & possibly then adjust the brakes & gears to get them spot on.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    As Andy said, above, pretty standard stuff and they should provide you with the tools to do it (multi tool and pedal spanner) :wink: