New Ladies Bike for Around £150ish

drummer ian
drummer ian Posts: 165
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi ppl,

With the easter holiday soon coming up, and our families gentle cycle ride through cornwall fast approaching my mum has decided to buy a new bike. This bike will be replacing a foldable, 3 speed, which is probably older than me! still in great working order though!
Anyway, she wants something thats a bit more up to date. Our riding is mostly off road (cycle paths), but noting like XC or my usual rides. It will be nice and full of scenery. A hybrid is probably good, or a light hardtail.
Front suspension is optional, i don't see any disadvantages to it, nor many advantages at this price point. We're looking to spend around £150, she won't be riding it often but want something that will last (not some crappy parts halfrauds Apollo that may look tantelising for £90 but will weigh a tonne and break at every opportunity).

Thanks
Drummer Ian

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think for general mountain biking, the following features should be considered: (aimed at buyers spending less than 250 quid)

- Alloy hardtail frame. Full suspension at the lower end of the market (sub 300 and even upto 500 quid) is heavily compromised. Its very heavy, undamped, poor bearings and pulls down the spec elsewhere. Steel frames at this level are often mild steel and are 2 or 3 pounds heavier than an alloy frame.

- Suspension fork with alloy crown and one piece lowers. Cheap pressed steel lowers and crowns flex badly. Preload adjusters are a good feature to help set sag and ride height for differing weights.

- Compact crankset (42/32/22). Many entry level bikes have larger chainrings (48/38/28) from cheaper groupsets. This doesn't allow a very low gear and is often over geared for the terrain a MTB will be used on. Replacable chainrings are a bonus.

- 8 speed freehub. 8 gears from a cassette and freehub gives a better spread than some 7spd screw on freewheels, often 11-32 teeth rather than 14-28. Also this allows the bearings to be spaced further in the hub, allowing a stronger rear wheel/axle. Shimano make the best budget 8 speed set ups.

- Cartridge bottom bracket. Old adjustable cup and cone bottom brackets are poorly sealed and are prone to coming loose.

- 32 or 36 spoked wheels. Lots of beginners MTBs are coming with fancy 'paired' spokes, or 24 bladed ones, purely for looks. They use heavy rims, are poorly constructed and are not worth it compared to standard wheels. Look for stainless spokes if possible, and sealed alloy hubs with quick release axles.

- Alloy components. If possible, ask about the seatpost and bars. Alloy units save some weight, and are more comfortable.

- Brakes and levers. Make sure the levers aren't plastic as they flex badly. Cable disc brakes stop better in the wet but usually add cost. Don't go for discs over other essential features.

- Aheadset or threadless headset. Much better bearings and more reliable than the older quill stem and threaded headset.

Many bikes for 200 pounds now have all these features! Don't be afraid to ask for a saddle swap if they are uncomfortable, and enquire about the quality of the tyres..
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    You said a hybrid could be good, I know you called them Halfrauds but they have a great hybrid for £199.99.
    The Subway 1.
    It comes in a ladies specific version with plenty of good, well thought out features like a suspension post & an adjustable stem so you can get the riding position she finds most comfortable.
    Has plenty of modern features like a cassette, cartridge bb, internal headset as well as a decent frame & parts. Metal pedals & V-brakes as well as SRAM derauliers, nothing flashy but a good quality 26" wheeled bike.

Ok you said your budget is £150 but Halfords also has a free £50 voucher with £199.99 & above bikes so she could get a few essential extras. Worth considering on that budget anyway.
  • drummer ian
    drummer ian Posts: 165
    thanks for the advice! i currently ride a carrera fury and am impressed with it. Any one else got any ideas? Thanks
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    If you really want to keep as close to £150 as possible take a look at the giant rock at £165. You really will benefit from bumping your budget up to 200 as this is where threadless headsets and 8 speed become commonplace.