Lidl stuff

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
on the front page..... http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/lidls-discount-bike-bits-on-the-way-15441

Article writer mark Appleton asked if the stuff was any good, this may help. Well it looks very similar kit to last year, I bought the saddle bag and 35 piece tool kit.

The saddle bag itself wasn't great as the zip broke quite easily, but the multi tool and other bits in it are very useful (probably worth paying the few quid for the contents anyway).

The tool kit is great, admittedly being a newbie, I haven't a clue what some of the tools do :lol: but its it seems again the some of the tools have been very useful. Not sure on the quality of the tools compared to known branded kit (as I've not used non branded tools), but I have had no complaints.

Anyone else buy any of the kit last year?

Comments

• DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    The track pump I brought last year although Im sure it was cheaper last year. Looks like a different design!

I rate the one I got as better than the one I paid £30 for at the LBS! the LBS purchased track pump is now very much my secondary pump! Might get this one as well :D and chuck the LBS one in the cellar ready to give away etc...
  • is this stuff from lidl still available? might be worth a quick late night jaunt to bag some toools etc
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    the last lot from a month ago is gone this new stuff is coming in on monday!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bicycle Tool Kit - 35 Pieces

Set includes bottom bracket tool, hub cone spanner, tyre lever, repair kit, hexagon key set and much more

Which BB tool though, there's loads of different ones..........

I'm not fond of tool sets anyway, as you never get what you need, I prefer my tools when I need them.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • [/quote]I'm not fond of tool sets anyway, as you never get what you need, I prefer my tools when I need them.[/quote]

Your much better off investing in some select high quality tools that you will use often rather than a whole load of cheap tools most of which you won't use.

Nothing is better at rounding allen key heads than cheap allan keys and these are tools you are likely to use a lot.
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Another way of looking at it is to get a cheap set of tools most of which you won't use or will use very rarely (hence them being cheap isn't a problem)
    PLUS a decent set of the tools you will use regularly.

Buy this for the cone spanners, bottom bracket tool, etc which you won't use much, buy some decent allen keys, screwdrivers, pliers, etc as well.
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    I purchased the tool kit last year and it has been tremendously useful.
    The quality was good enough that nothing has failed on me yet.

Better than several trips to the LBS spending a tenner each time a tool is required.
    Sundays and after work the LBS is closed, which prevented me repairing the bike several times before I had the tool kit.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The tool kit from Lidl does look good value for the cheap price you pay. But it's cheap for a reason, as I found out when using for the first time.

Most tools in the kit just fell apart! You get what you pay for.
  • jenster88
    jenster88 Posts: 27
    Anyone know if lidl sell kidz cycling shorts?
  • hammerite
    I don't think this sale covers clothes this time. I've never seen kids sizes when they do have clothes, but then I've not really looked for them.
  • krakow
    krakow Posts: 110
    I'm going to drop by my local Lidls tonight on the way home from work. If they still have any of the tool kit in stock then I'll get one. If not then I'll take it as fate's way of telling me to invest in some more expensive and 'better' selected tools.

How long does this stuff generally last? Does it go within hours, or is heading along at the end of the day or even tomorrow worthwhile?
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    krakow wrote:
    How long does this stuff generally last? Does it go within hours, or is heading along at the end of the day or even tomorrow worthwhile?

I guess a lot depends on your local store. Ours had good stock levels all through the first day last time, and still had most items in stock a couple of days later. Most of it had gone by the end of the week, though.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    krakow wrote:
    I'm going to drop by my local Lidls tonight on the way home from work. If they still have any of the tool kit in stock then I'll get one. If not then I'll take it as fate's way of telling me to invest in some more expensive and 'better' selected tools.

As I mentioned, it doesn't! The first time I attempted to use both the chain whip and chain splitter tools, they both fell apart. I shall be building my own tool kit with selective pieces ie other brands, from now on.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Bought the tool kit a couple of years ago and it seems pretty good. Had no problems with the chain whip. The chain splitter when of the bits of metal to position the chain on bent when I first used it, but it still does the job, and I noticed my mate's more expensive looking one had done exactly the same thing. Maybe you just got unlucky....

Have bought the computer / HRM, some shades and one of the metal pumps this morning Haven't even properly looked at it yet, the pump looks a bit dodgy so that might go back if it doesn't get road tyres up to 11psi without too much trouble.
  • buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    Just bought the track (floor) pump.
    It seems robust enough (mainly steel/alu). Although I have my concerns about the plastic valve lock/release lever. The foot-hold is just a piece if bent wire, but works. And there is no means of adjusting how 'tight' it grips on to the valve - but that's being picky.
    Also the pressure gauge is accurate enough for bike use.
    Most important of all is that I got my rear tyre to 110 psi in less than 20 seconds, with minimal effort.

Verdict - bargin for a fiver!
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Bought the glasses today, they seem pretty good to me. Bought a track pump from Tesco the other day and although it was 9.99 its much better than the Lidl one, no problem pumping up to 120psi in about 30seconds and it looks robust enough to last some time.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I just got the tool kit and a bottle :D

The tool kit seems to be quite good.... it will come handy when I get the bike ready to re-spray the frame.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Bought the 2.99 emergency kit, doubtless rather cheap and nasty tools but it'll do for bike no.3. The HRM/computer for bike no.3 again, probably won't use the HRM on it but handy to have as a backup I guess. Also got the shades because they were cheap, and no doubt I'll break my others sometime this year, and one of the vests whcih I got last year and are quite good for 5 quid. Was about to pickup a minipump as a backup, when I noticed it hand't got a bracket included, would rather not carry a big lump of metal in my back pocket so put it back.
  • hammerite
    I just picked up a spare track pump just in case, and the rear pannier bag. I'll probably only use when cycling to work (in fair weather!), and only want it to avoid me getting a sweaty back!
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    I got the sports glasses and the track pump. Of course the pump isnt well finished, but it works fast and costs a fiver!!

I wish I needed a new computer and HRM, I would have bought one.
  • gazza_d1
    gazza_d1 Posts: 53
    I've bought the computer/HRM

Seems like a reasonable bit of kit. The instructions are extremely similar to those for Sigma'.

The wheel size settings are not listed in the instructions anywhere but I think that they are wheel circumference in mm. Be warned though - the minimum is 1945 so 26" and 700C are OK, but others like me with smaller (20" moulton) are stuffed without some maths.

gary.

p.s. If anybody has a formula for fudging this I'd be glad to hear.
  • antonylp
    antonylp Posts: 33
    p.s. If anybody has a formula for fudging this I'd be glad to hear.

Try http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomput ... ation.html
  • krakow
    krakow Posts: 110
    Duke Street, Dennistoun branch in Glasgow was all out of tool kits and quite a bit of the other stuff by the time I got there at 6pm. However, my route home also took me out to Ballieston, where they had plenty of everything left. I picked up the £20 tool kit and on a first look at it back it home I'm pretty pleased. Obviously the real test comes when I actually have to use some of the tools, but first impressions are favourable.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    The sports glasses are slightly odd it turns out, they come with a removable foam backed frame, and arms that can be swapped out for an elastic strap to turn them into ski style goggles, ok in cold weather I guess. Can be used as normal glasses if you remove those bits and bobs though.
    After closer inspection the emergency kit looks pretty good value, you get a tube repair kit, tyre boot (I think), tyre levers, a box wrench thing (which is a bit of a throwback, along with the quaint spare bulbs for 1950s style lights) and a flimsy but usable in emergency looking multitool.. oh and cloth for some reason. How you attach the bag to your seat is a bit of a mystery, but its definitely worth the £3.
  • stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    got the glasses...quite like the foam back...nice and comfortable
  • gazza_d1
    gazza_d1 Posts: 53
    been digging on he internet and the computer is an "atech" or "tronic", also badged in the UK as a Raleigh (RSP).

Not managed to find a different manual, although lots of the sites say that it will cover all wheel sizes. Only easy option for me at the minute seems to be to set it to milesX2
  • hammerite
    fluff. wrote:
    The sports glasses are slightly odd it turns out, they come with a removable foam backed frame, and arms that can be swapped out for an elastic strap to turn them into ski style goggles, ok in cold weather I guess. Can be used as normal glasses if you remove those bits and bobs though.
    After closer inspection the emergency kit looks pretty good value, you get a tube repair kit, tyre boot (I think), tyre levers, a box wrench thing (which is a bit of a throwback, along with the quaint spare bulbs for 1950s style lights) and a flimsy but usable in emergency looking multitool.. oh and cloth for some reason. How you attach the bag to your seat is a bit of a mystery, but its definitely worth the £3.

If it is the same bag as last year I took the strap off (that runs round the bag), run the strap underneath the saddle supports and through the loop then clip it back together. Not sure if that makes sense!